We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AJ first timers

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
AJ first timers

Flying with AJ non-stop out of Atlanta GA in July. Can anyone tell me if AJ is dependable?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AJ first timers

What time is your flight supposed to leave? We have only used AJ out of Ohare. Our early a.m. flights always on time. P.m. flights and our return flights always delayed sometimes by several hours.

baltimore
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AJ first timers

as dependable as any other carrier...I had my fare share with all the carriers...I can honestly say the only problem I had with air jamaica is that they were late departing go back home...other then that I think that they are one of the good carriers...they feed you. Americian airlines lost my luggage going...delta left 2 hours late...and usair left late also...it's really hard to say...just say your prays and hope for the best....and the best thing about air jamacia is that they are non-stop....and your luggage has a chance of arriving when you do.

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AJ first timers

We just returned from Jamaica and flew with AJ out of Atlanta. We had an 8:40 flight to Jamaica and had no issue however we were delayed on the way back. We were supposed to leave at 5:40 and ended up departing at 8:05.

Alabama
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AJ first timers

Departs Atlanta at 8:40 AM, Arrives Montego Bay at 10:25 AM

Departs Montego Bay at 4:45 PM, Arrives Atlanta at 8:30 PM

Thanks!

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AJ first timers

Dear always4bama:

We have used AJ for what seems to be a lifetime (the 6AM flight out of O'Hare). Things were very nice for a long time, but recently their service has just gone down the drain. They seem to get you there on time, but getting you back seems like a real problem on most flights. Type in Air Jamaica on the top of the FORUM page and see the stuff that people are saying.

If I were you I would at least make sure to call them a few weeks before your trip and check if they are flying on your schedule. AJ has recently been changing their schedules, flights, etc. and NOT calling people to let them know that the fligh has been changed. People arrive to find that the flight is not even going anywhere! All they will say, is SORRY. We forgot to call you! So MAKE SURE YOU CALL and check on the flight.

AJ is undergoing big mgt problems and may in fact be sold to we think Delta. So keep all things in mind and hope that all is well.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AJ first timers

HI AJ,

The fact is Air Jamaica has been in trouble for the longest time (talks of a buyout, bankruptcy, takeover).The airline industry is that way (look what happened to Air Canada). It the National carrier dont be scared. I got married three years ago and was scheduled to fly out of Toronto on AJ. But they Co-share with Air Canada. From what I have been told from Many of My Jamaican friends and co-workers as well as other non Caribean friends is that the flight on AJ feels "authentic" . You get real food and you get to deal with the perceived "rudeness" of the islanders.

Dont fret, everyting gonna be irie. One love, enjoy Jamaica I know we did.

7. Re: AJ first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 15:17