We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

How safe is it to bring a camara on a tour of these falls? Will the camara just be in the way and get wet or is it ok to bring it along. I really want to get some video of the falls but don't want to ruin my camara.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

If I remember correctly at Mayfield falls the guide carries a waterproof bag and he will use it to carry your camera for you. It works out pretty well because you can just ask him to take a picture if you wish. They are happy to oblige.

Remember to tip them before you leave.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

halfwaytree is right. the guide at mayfield falls will carry your camera for you. they will take any picture you want and, in fact, the guide had us pose a few times in a some neat spots and the picutres turned out great! it was alot of FUN!!

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

Opus420,

You can use a disposable waterproof camera.

There are lockers at YS but I didn't use them so can't say how safe they are.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

thanx for the reply folks... a big help!

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

"Guides" at YS are happy to transport your camera while you are in the water. They will come to your site and snap desired shots. Others, along the side, are happy to hold your equipment. Of course, both would assume a tip for service.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

All during the tour, we had our guide (who did carry the personal cameras and take pictures), but we also had another fellow who had his own camera and took pictures (posed and non-posed) of everyone in our group. At the end of the tour, you are given the option to buy a CD of photos. It was around $40 for a CD with about 20 pictures. Or you can buy single photos.

KMF24
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

I would love to see some of the pics; if you guys have a link can you please point me in right direction? I just bought a waterproof camera...probably didnt need to (for the falls) but what the heck?!. I can hopefully get some good ones snorkeling at least!!!

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

i have some pics on my profile of YS falls. another great place to go is www.webshots.com and type in Mayfield Falls Jamaica or YS Falls Jamaica and a ton will come up. it will give you a great idea of the falls.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

When we visited YS Falls last month we carried around our own camera, we used a Dry Pak case.

http://www.drypakcase.com/

I had purchased two of these, a smaller 'wallet' for $$$, room key, etc that my husband kept in his bathing suit pocket. Then, I got the next size up for the camera, it came w/ a neck strap which worked out well.

These worked out very well, everything stayed bone dry!

I got mine on eBay, didn't cost me very much at all.

Have fun!

Naomi :-)

Martha's Vineyard...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camaras at YS-Mayfield falls?

My wife and I both have sony cybershot cameras. you can buy an underwater case for them. I have countless underwater videos and pics of barracudas, rays etc. They work great. Disposable underwater cameras are ok but nothing like the cybershot. go on line and google sony cybershot underwater cases.