We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield, VA
6 posts
Save Topic
ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

I know its a distance from Ocho Rios to Negril, but we are staying at the Riu in Ocho and would really like to check out Ricks Cafe. anyone know about how much a taxi ride would be? Also does anyone know anything about the ATV tours? It looks so beautiful from the top of the mountain looking down and I would love to go up and take some pics.

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

We went to Rick's from Sandals Negril and had a great time. I would assume the trip from Ocho would be 3+ hours so I would think it may be pricey. This is just my estimation as I have never made the drive but have stayed in both places.

As for the ATV tours, they are great. We went through Chukka adventures and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We even stopped at a school and visited with some of the children.

Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

Orangenwhite-

Staying in Negril for our honeymoon and was thinking about doing the ATV tous with Chukka. How long of day is it (as in pick up time and drop off time) and how long do you actually tour on the ATV? I think I heard somebody say it is about a hour drive from Negril to get there. Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

We did the ATVs in Ocho Rios so I do not know much about the tour in Negril. They are both Chukka so I assume pretty similar. We passed the Negril Chukka facility on the way in/out. It is about 45 minutes from Sandals. If the actual tour is the same you will probably be riding the ATV for about 1.5 hours. Lots of fun.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

Day4me13,

We went to negril for the day when we stayed at runaway bay last year. It was under 3 hrs to get there with a private driver/ guide we use. It was a great day out and we would do it again. Well worth seeing.

We used moodie contact no 876 404 6396. You would have to contact him to get a price. Either call or text and he will get back to you. Great guy. We would not use anyone else now to take us to places. You could ask moodie about the ATV tours as well he is bound to know

Haliburton
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

Just to give a different slant to the ATV tours. We went on the Chukka trip in Negril last year. Other posters have already told you the distances, etc.

We are experienced ATV riders and accustomed to rough terrain. Although the trip is scenic, it was very boring and slow. This is to accomodate members in the party that have never been on an ATV before, which is understandable, for safety reasons. I am not saying don't go. Just remember the trip will be centered around the least experienced rider's abilities.

Just a different opinion.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

i would not travel all the way from ochi to see rick's. rick's is not remarkably different from any margaritaville you can find in any sunny destination - there's nothing particularly jamaican about rick's IMHO. plus, as soon as the sun sets, it usually tends to empty out quite a bit.

if you wanted to make a day of it though - come to negril very early in the morning from ochi - have breakfast at idle awhile, spend some time checking out long bay, the beach, the shops, the properties, the eating places - then, before sunset either grab a catamaran from the beach or take a cab up to the cliffs for sunset - there are multiple places to catch the sunset but pirate's cave (which has cliff diving like rick's) and LTU pub which has great food and drink both come to mind. if you grab a boat from the beach they'll supply drinks and usually a snack like pizza and head up to the cliffs area, stopping along the way near pirate's cave/rockhouse for some snorkeling, diving, swimming and/or rick's (so you can see rick's, without having to actually go to rick's!)... then, if you're already on the cliffs, after sunset either settle in for dinner at LTU or Pirate's or head to Hungry Lion or Rockhouse or any one of a number of great west end restaurants for dinner before heading back to ochi...

if i were in ochi - i'd make time to go to nine mile because that's a bit of a hike from negril but not far from ochi at all. :)

Chesterfield, VA
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

Thanks everyone for you replies. we'll probably skip Rick's this time but will try the Atv tours because I just want to take in the view from the top of the mountain!! Thanks to all!!!

8. Re: ocho rios to ricks cafe/ ATV tours???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 21:16