We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headin for Jamaica

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Headin for Jamaica

I've been looking and digging for 2 months now. I'm just gonna throw it out to you guys...We're looking for an AI in Jamaica for next January. Want a real nice beach, not too much partying, relaxation and a nice clean place. We've been to PC and Riv.Maya. what compares? Let's have it!

kingston
Level Contributor
600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headin for Jamaica

Judles57, try Portland. Quite, relaxing, not connected to this world!!(closer to heaven)

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headin for Jamaica

We stayed at Sunset at the Palms (SATP) last summer and loved it - going back this summer. Check out my review from last summer for more details. SATP is located in Bloody Bay (2.5 miles) which is right before you get into 7-mile beach. There are only a few AI resorts located in Bloody Bay so that area is relatively calm. Basically it's a small,(60-65 rooms)quiet, tropical, AI that caters mostly to couples looking for a quiet getaway with great service. There's nightly entertainment that ends around 10-11pm (steel drums, fire beather, Reggae Band, etc...)but the pool bar stays open 'till 1am. The beach and pool are terrific and you're a short taxi ride from 7-mile in case you want to get out for some nightlife. This year we're splitting our time between the Rockhouse in the cliff (West End) section and then back to SATP for some quiet beach-time. I hope this helps.

CA
Level Contributor
232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headin for Jamaica

For an all inclusive, we thoroughly enjoyed Couples Swept Away. The rooms were fantastic. Staff wonderful. Dining choices were were good, as was the food.

There were all kinds of activities if you wanted to join in. The beach is gorgeous and well kept.

For non-AI, we do Idle Awhile. There are some other AI's on our list, but since we found Idle Awhile, we've been happy clams there!

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headin for Jamaica

Both SATP and CSA were recommended to us. There's 6 of us going. SATP looks like what I'm looking for but the other 2 couples found it to be too high in their price range. We've stayed in Iberostars in the other 2 places. I've been happy with those, nice clean rooms and good service, but the one in Jamaica seems like just one big hotel not seperate buildings like the others. Is Couples comparable to Iberostar both in price and comfort? Thanks guys!!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Headin for Jamaica

Judles,

SATP'S sounds like what your looking for! We have been there twice and look forward to our third trip next April!! Great beach and food! Low key and clean! Awsome Friday night beach party too! Very relaxing place to spend quality time with someone!

~ Judie ~

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Headin for Jamaica

I will be in deep ... for saying this, but what the hell. If you are looking for a place that is like Riviera Maya or Cancun or Playa Cancun, then you really haved very few choices in Negril. Your choices may be Grand Lido or Couples. That said, your service will not meet the Cancun standards, nor will the food. I am sorry for saying this, because we love Negril, but the rooms, food, and service is just not up to the standards for the money you are paying. For 1/2 of the money you will get better rooms, food, drinks, and SERVICE in Cancun.

I am just trying to be honest.

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Headin for Jamaica

After reading reviews for months now I've come to understand that Jamaica's going to be much more "laid back" than the other places! That's great, I'm really looking forward to it! How far from CSA is there any night-life if we feel the need to venture out? I'm not too concerned with the standard of service, I am concerned with our rooms being clean.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Headin for Jamaica

judles57, no worries. Couples is both very clean and has outstanding service!! The staff is what really makes this company. I stayed at Couples Negril and found the food to be excellent as well. Unlike those fancy places in Mexico you can drink the water and enjoy a tropical worry free vacation.

minnesota
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Headin for Jamaica

There were all kinds of activities if you wanted to join in

i don't get it. activities ?? if you want ACTIVITIES, and i don't mean those silly silly games, get out of the AI'S, tons of local activities to be had. does a person really book a hotel for the "ACTIVITIES" ?? you always see people posting, "what kind of activities does the resort have to keep us busy"?

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Headin for Jamaica

It is an exaggeration to keep saying that you can get better this and better that in Cancun over what you can pay for in Jamaica. I sell many travel packages and the price difference that is sometimes referrd to on these boards about the two destinations is just inaccurate. Depending on where you stayed in PC & RM, do not expect to find hotels with the same "glitz" in Jamaica as you see in DR or RM/Cancun, but no question in my mind that the service and the people are second to none in Jamaica. also, you do not have to worry about what you eat or drink in Jamaica which to me is a major benefit. Also, no language barriers. If glitz and polish aren't important and a "simple" elegance is what you are looking for, there are many resorts in Jamaica that will meet your criteria. In no special order, although I do love Sandals Whitehouse:

SWH, GLN, GLB, CN, CSA, SATP are all wonderful resorts that meet all of your requirements.