We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

I am planning a last minute trip to Negril and can't decide whether to split my stay beach/west end or just stay at one place. I'll be there 8 nights. I only split my trip one time when I went and stayed at both country country and whitesands in the same trip--and it turned into a bit of a project to pack up in the middle after settling in. This time i am having a really hard time deciding between beach and cliffs--I am on a tight budget but can get good deals in both areas $$wise and love things about staying in each area. I am traveling by myself --so don't need to worry about packing up a whole family or anything. My boyfriend will be staying with me part of the time but he lives outside of Negril and is low maintenance so the decision is up to me. Has anyone had a positive (or negative) experience splitting up a trip like that? I would probably stay at Bar B Barn (beach) and either xtabi, samsara or seastar (westend) but I am totally on the fence about whether to do the split thing or not and which area to stay. And of course I know I can cab from one place to another so I don't need to feel like staying in one area excludes the other.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

Hubby & I are visiting Negril in July (JA virgins here). We had the same dilemma, also going for 8 nts.

Because we couldn't decide between staying on the beach or cliffs, we decided to do a split. 1st 4 nts we'll be staying @ SATP then on to TP for 4 nts :-)

<70 sleeps to go.......YIPPEEEE!!!

Naomi :-)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

As you are there for 8 days and on your own there is no question in my mind, do the split.

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

thanks blues, methinks I will. That's what i am leaning towards anyhow--I don't wanna be cabbing a whole lot while I am there--love the sunsets and the peace, the laid back vibe and beauty of the cliffs--plus actually like swimming there where the water is deeper. But I also have so much fun with the action at the beach and the long long walks with toes in the sand. I want both:) Beach I know I am going to be doing BarBBarn--they gave me the best price plus breakfast--so now I just need to figure out cliff dwelling. I've been wanting to check out Seastar for a while now--but since they don't have property right on the wata I am leaning more toward the xtabi direction. I need to sort it out soon since i am going end of May.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

I agree with BP...split that stay! West End is the Best End....grin!

In all seriousness...

I've stayed at Xtabi & Seastar and love them both! Xtabi has a lovely, seaview location & the staff is great...

Seastar has an amazing vibe, that you just can't find anywhere else, along with great service, pool, bar etc. It seems like a tough call...but you'll figure it out...you'll be glad that you split the stay...enjoy!!

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

ok-- I've decided to do the split:) For real. So now it is the seastar/xtabi debate (I posted it). I haven't stayed at either. bnewb--do places close to Seastar let you use cliff access for swimming? I am more of an ocean swimmer than pool. I think Seastar looks gorgeous and I've only heard great things about it but am wondering if I'll miss having easy ocean access.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

Banana Shout or Citronella. Check them out in negrilonestop. Given your situation and what you are looking for either may work well for you. If I were in your shoes they would be my top two for price, location and sea access.

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

will check banana shout and citronella now--so excited, I can't believe I am going. I was in Negril in

November but that seems like eons ago. Honestly after 5 months away I am suffering serious withdrawals.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

Beachlover...you can access the sea easily from many properties...along the cliffs. Most are very accommodating ...just buy a drink or two...maybe have a meal....and enjoy!

minnesota
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

if you are a beachlover as i am.....try only a few nights, not half and half, you may not like it.

i tried 2 nights last july. it was just ok.

i was fresh meat to the higglers up there, folks on beach know me, so i don't get bothered anymore.

upon leaving your compound, to me, the only sites are either the little shopping, eating spots, or looking at all the cement walls or wooden fences etc....to all the hotels. not much scenery. also, watching for cars zooming by.

now...i love the beach, nothing like walking on the waters edge to every little bar or eatery. not having to put shoes on to take a walk, where as on the cliffs put sandels on to take a walk OUTSIDE OF HOTEL ALONG A ROAD.

over the 11 years of vacationing in negril i do head to the cliffs for nights at miyard or other bars, but will not stay there again....guess i'm a BEACHLOVER.

New York City
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: trip dilemma: split stay beach/cliffs

yes, I am a beachlover too (screen name not an accident and I chose it before I had ever been to Negril:) I've been to Negril 6 times and only stayed on the cliffs one of those times--but i do love the feel of the West End. But the time I stayed there I was at Samsara and actually went to the beach with the free beach shuttle 3 or 4 of the days I was there. I do want to do more West End exploring though--that's why thinking of the split trip this time. But I love leaving the shoes behind and wandering the beach barefoot. Either way, since my heart is in Negril I know I'll be back again and can stay cliffside or beachside. But since last 5 visits have been on the beach thinking that it is time for a change of scenery.