We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take Flippers?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Take Flippers?

Never been snorkeling. Bought our own equipment but wondering if really necessary to take the flippers. They will take up a lot of baggage room. I know around the cliffs they won't be used but what about at the reefs?

1. Re: Take Flippers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2008, 13:15
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take Flippers?

Personaly...we take our own mask and snorkle, they're not so much space in your baggage. Fins take up more room, we use the ones there.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take Flippers?

Well, as Bill Clinton would say, I feel your pain!

Look, many, many years ago, we got all of the stuff, put in an army duffle bag and took it with us (along with old cloths and toys). Now, if you go to the reef to snorkel, the boat will have all of the stuff to use. IN my case I had a size 15-16 foot. No one had that size, but now the last 4 times they do, on almost all of the boats. You may want to bring your own mask, etc., but forget the flippers. Going snorkeling off the beach is no fun and you probably will not use them.

Lower Gwynedd...
Level Contributor
69 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take Flippers?

I'll offer a contrarian position. I'll grant you that they take up some precious luggage space, but we always take ours (along with our masks and snorkels). First, when we stayed at Rockhouse (cliffs) we used our constantly. It's nice to just jump in the water and snorkel around for a while, and fins take you twice as far twice as fast. I don't want to have to keep locating/borrowing someone else's fins.

Second, we have good split fins, which are much, much easier to use when snorkeling than solid fins that you can borrow. (Made for shorter strokes.) Once you go with split fins a solid fin feels like a 2x4 on your foot.

Finally, and just to be honest, I just don't want somebody else foot fungus. Much as I'd like to believe that these guys disinfect them after each use, let's be honest.

Again, to us, it's worth the space.

My 2 cents.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take Flippers?

For the reef, just borrow the flippers on the boat. If foot fungus is a concern, I wouldn't worry. Salt water tends to kill little nasties such as that.

Like you said, around the cliffs flippers are not really a must. Snorkeled there many times with my bare feet, no problem!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Take Flippers?

We take ours. Never have to worry about fit, comfort, or availability.

Until such time as we try to do a Caribbean vacation with just carry-on luggage (I could do it, but my wife would freak), I'll always toss them into the duffel. (BTW; flippers packed along the bottom and/or sides of a duffel can provide a good barrier to protect more delicate things from rough baggage handlers.)

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take Flippers?

We take ours.. not that they are complete protection, but they are one more thing between you and the sea urchins which tend to attach around ladders... If you look with your goggles before approaching the ladder that is also helpful in avoiding those spiny friends. Seamuis

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14003-Laid_bac…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Take Flippers?

I agree with Seamuis. I wouldn't snorkel without my own fins along the cliffs. There are things like urchins and rock that I have made contact with negotiating my way up the sea ladder out of the water, particularly with the sea swell rising, falling and pushing you towards the rock face.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take Flippers?

agree with seamuis and BP - we bring our fins and other snorkeling gear in a small duffel just for that purpose, check it as baggage on the plane and it doesn't interfere with our other packed belongings.

having your own fins makes frequent snorkeling along the cliffs much more enjoyable i think. you don't get worn out as quickly. they offer some protection against urchins and such as well.

well, that and i wear a size 14 shoe so it would be remarkable if anyone had my size fins just lying around ready to borrow.

i have the full foot fins as opposed to the adjustable back-strap type. it's just personal preference but i find the sized fins to be more comfortable over long periods.

Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Take Flippers?

OK. The fins are being packed. Thanks to all!