We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Help

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito Help

Hi, when going to jamaica and Dom Rep i seem to be a real magnet for the little buggers in september and on my last trip in march i was covered in bites i am going back in september this year (106 days) but am not counting lol i was just wondering what my good freinds on here use to prevent them

Many Thanks

Birmingham uk
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Help

Citronella oil (only a few drops) mixed in to both your sun tan lotion and aftersun , that helps me out, also Deet is good, take the plug-ins for in your room too or citronella burners/josticks

New Tripoli, PA
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Help

Deep Woods Off works for me...I even found a small size available that can be taken on a carry-on. (I can't risk losing that with my luggage!!!!!0

Mosquitos seem to like me too. Maybe we're just sweet people!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Help

Start taking Vitamin B1 at least 2 weeks before your trip. It has to be B1, not 6 or 12. Don't know why it works, but it does. I am also a BIG mosquitoe magnet. Costa Rica has some good threads on this topic. That place is really bad.

New Tripoli, PA
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Help

Gotta love Tripadvisor! I'm gonna try the B1 thing before our yearly trip to North Carolina! thanks!

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
687 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Help

I agree. I started taking B-1 per advice here. I started about 3 weeks ago and have not been bitten yet. We spend many evening hours in our backyard, so the bugs have plenty of opportunities, but no bites so far.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Help

dasjman glad it works for you.

Usually when I post this, others post all these scientific reasons why it will not work. But it does for me and all my friends and family who have tried it. I do still use some spray, but spray alone won't keep those suckers away from me.

My husband never has a problem with mosquitoes and doesn't even use bug spray. He figures if I am around, the mosquitoes will feed on me and not him, usually he is right. Last summer in Costa Rica I was taking B1 and he got tons, over 50, bites that trip. I didn't have a single one. He blames me, since I wasn't the magnet anymore.

greenbay,wi
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Help

I've been told listerine works. Large bottle about $2.00 put it in a small spray bottle. I haven't tried it yet unfortunately it's not warm enough here yet.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Help

Thanks very much for your answers i will try them all lol

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito Help

Meet a fellow magnet! Thought I had all the answers but they seem to keep beating me. Now I use everything!

Plug-ins, Deet, coils, wristband, armband, half of my luggage allowance is weapons! A few years ago I learned, after a while, to stay indoors at dusk and dawn when mossies are at their worst. During the day you are OK but in the evening you still have to use normal repellent. Always leave your AC on when you are out, especially in the evening, they hate a cold room.

Now I am going to be very profound, I am not sure if it is the mossies that bite me so much, I think it is the sand flies on the beach. Most of my bites are all on my legs and because I am now paranoid I always wear trousers at night. We have just returned two weeks ago and I got the worst bites ever sitting on the end of my sunbed early in the morning. I had a 9 hour flight back to Gatwick and suffered all night with new bites, it was awful. Never again, I will always have repellent on, day or night. Skin So Soft by Avon is also recommended, I will definitely try!

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito Help

I use Skin-So-Soft bath oil. Not only does it keep your skin nice and soft but also seems to work on the mosquitos. I know it doesn't work for some, though, so I would take some bug spray with DEET. I'm also going to try the vitamin B.