We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Pirate's Cave

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Update on Pirate's Cave

If anyone is interested there is a thread in negril.com with photos and information that is very current. I'm not sure if this link will work

negril.com/discus/messages/103/121082.html…

nyc
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Thanks Blues,

Yep, the link works and I have to say I'm a little disappointed due to the fact that we will be there in July and was hoping to visit with our friends who have never been to Negril. Oh well, many other places to enjoy on our upcoming trip. Thanks again.

Sam

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Yes, it worked. Very interesting. I'm curious as to if it will still be called "Pirate's Cave." Kind of makes me sad. I will miss the people who worked there and how it was before. There was an older gentleman who was always there when we went in. He would tell my kids some great stories. We have been thinking about him. The last time we were there, he was selling painted parrots across the street from Pirate's Cave. Does anyone know if he's still there?

Belgium
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Oh that is a shame. Was kinda nice place to have a quick drink and chat with some Jamaicans during the day.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

What was.. it's a shame. All part of the continuing development... even in the last three years many places and people have gone... Hopefully this does not continue to the point where the smaller vendors have no place to go (Like the stands across the street from RH.) Seamuis

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Yep, was there last week, nothing left but the roof so far, the rest was gutted.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

If I've learned nothing else in the last 3 months is that life is full of changes - and sometimes that change hits you so hard and fast it knocks you off your feet.

It is up to all of us to seek out the openings in the clouds...discover new opportunities and figure out how to learn from a loss and gain perspective.

Seven years ago Pirates Cave didn't exist. Now - it doesn't exist. Sure, it's too bad, it was a great place - time to find the next great place. The thing with Negril is that there is always a next great place.

Perspective: It's a bar. There are tons more. There are greater losses in life than a hangout.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

True rastagirl777.

But to put it into a different perspective you can relate to, how would you feel if the LTU were taken over, boarded up and no longer available for you to enjoy? It's all relative.

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

I think it's more the fact that it is the loss of public access to a great cove/cliff & cave then just a hang out aspect.

Lower Gwynedd...
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Interesting note that they won't allow people to jump once re-opened, which was why I asked a little while back if anyone had heard. My guess is that the hotel's liability insurance policy has a clause that read's roughly "no letting people jump off of 35 foot high cliffs or we ain't paying when they get hurt and sue." Too bad. My wife and I were two of the last people to jump just a few hours before they closed it and I had a feeling we literally the last few.

End of an era (for now.)

Have to remember that they're only leasing the property, so you never know.

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Pirate's Cave

Of coarse the cove & cave are still for public use but since the RH now owns the grounds no more climbing threw the cave & jumping there. Yeah you could go to Rick's but many people like that cove.