We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

OK, so now that we're officially <30 sleeps (29 to be exact) 'til our 1st trip to JA, we've really got the 'itch'.

We went to a Jamaican rest. in the next town over and brought back dinner.

The owner was super-nice! We explained to him that we had never eaten Jamaican food & also that we were visiting JA in a month. He was kind enough to offer us several samples (oxtail, curry chicken, stew chicken, ackee & saltfish)

Gotta tell you, at 1st it was mind over matter w/ the oxtail but, it was very good! The curry chicken & stew chicken were both very tasty! Can't say that hubby & I enjoyed the ackee & saltfish. But, maybe in JA it tastes different (better) ;-)

He had just finished making the jerk chicken so, naturally, we ordered some of that. He gave us a tiny container of their homemade sauce (WOW, my tongue/lips will never be the same). Also, got some of the curry & stew chicken (w/ rice & peas, veggies). Took the last 4 beef patties he had too. He threw in some plantains (I could make a meal on those, lol) too.

Came home, put the Reggae channel on the digital cable and pretended we were in JA ;-)

So, once we return from JA, and we're craving good Jerk chicken, etc, we know where to go ;-)

Naomi :-)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

lol.. there's one way to do it...

but ackee in Connecticut? i'd be a little concerned LOL... If ackee isn't prepared properly it is poisonious (it must be fully ripe and open up)... and I imagine to transport it is picked unripe.... (can be boiled to ripen, but still).. up here you can buy it in cans (which i still won't do), but i'm pretty sure it's not the case down there (maybe they import it a little more freely, b/c i find it's really really really hard to find here).. Ackee saltfish is a MUST for me in Jamaica... LOVE it.... i think a lot because you can't get it anywhere else... it's typically served as a breakfast dish, so if you went for dinner time, well it's likely that it wasn't really fresh!!!

oxtail i enjoy to taste but it makes me angry (it's like a food and dental floss in one, but not in a good way)...

Glad you were able to find a little piece of Jamaica and get yourself in the mood pre-trip, you'll love everything a little more down there and you'll come back thinking "this just isn't the same!" hehehe

Chelle

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

Forgot to add that one of the customers that had come in (cute guy wearing a Yankees shirt, lol)started talking to us after the rest. owner mentioned that we're going to JA for the 1st time.

He asked what part we were going to to. Told him Negril, he's actually lived there on & off. He wanted to know if we were staying on the beach or cliffs. Told him we're doing a split. Told him where we're staying. He had only wonderful things to say about TP (guess his Dad was friends with the owner)and said that it was one of the nicest places on that stretch :-)

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

The ackee was probably canned...I don't know that ackee is imported any other way to the states. My experience with canned ackee has not been too terrific - just like I don't drink wine in Jamaica, I just don't eat ackee in California.

However - a couple of weeks ago we had a wake for our brother and an old, old friend who we had not seen in many years showed up with a plate of ackee and saltfish. I was skeptical at first but I tasted it - and it was good! Wasn't too salty, the ackee was not mushy at all.

He's supposed to be emailing me with the name of the canned product he has sent to him from Florida to Northern California. Forget the saltfish, I'm psyched to make sauteed ackee in coconut milk for my brood!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

I use to live in Connecticut...Hartford to be exact. Its like mini Jamaica. Theres nothing in Jamaica that you can't get there. Ackee is something we ate just about every week, it taste just like I was in Jamaica.

Chelle - u would be surprise the things that you can get there. My aunt in Toronto would come down buy a car trunk of stuff to bring back. Her concern was always being searched at the border.

Minivanmom...I think you did a smart thing. I hope you have a great vacation.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

jamekahchoc, yeah, hubby & I figured it would be a great way to introduce our taste buds to Jamaican dishes.

Yumm, heated up leftovers for lunch today when I came home from work :-)

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

Great culinary intro Naomi! :) When you're there, be sure to try the conch burger (assuming conch is in season..) at Xtabi. It's like a nice meaty crab cake, made with pounded conch. Yummy. The brown stew beef at Sips and Bites is also one of the best local foods IMHO. The LTU just up the road from TP has good chow all around, esp. jerk snapper and surprisingly schnitzel.

Enjoy!

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

Thanks for the much-appreciated info.

Just referred ti the handy dandy Negril map to see where Sips n' Bites was located. According to the map, it doesn't look very far from TP, I assume it's walkable from there?

9. Re: Had a Jamaican dinner (in Connecticut)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 03:19