We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon connection?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon connection?

I have to call Verizon for info on getting connections to be able to call the states...does anyone know if service will work within Negril as well?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon connection?

This might help

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k16143…

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon connection?

it should work, however, the per minute charge will be very expensive. a better option might be to pickup an inexpensive ($20) cell phone on Jamaica's DIgicel network and purchase minutes on pre-paid cards as needed.

it kinds depends upon how much use you plan on giving the phone. if you plan on calling the states for more than 10-20 minutes, it may be cheaper to get a phone locally.

if you're using a private transfer from the airport, many will lend you a phone for free and you just purchase the pre-paid minutes at any store or shop.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon connection?

rawlus...digicel cheapest phones are now $50 usd. :)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon connection?

wow. that's a shame. i wonder if you can find unlocked tri-band GSM phones online for cheaper.

Long Island
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon connection?

Wow, last year they sold $32 basic phones. I bought a Nokia for $40 (better sound) at the cell phone store on the Hip Strip across from Casa Blanca.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon connection?

I am getting the use of 2 cell phones, for free (with $40 deposit applied to return transfer fare) from the driver that I hired to pick me up at the airport.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon connection?

Phil..that's where I bought mine...in April/08. Cheapest I could buy was $50.00.

However that included the $15.00 sim card which is madatory to be able to use the phone.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon connection?

From what i understand i have to pay 1.99 per min for incoming or outgoing calls...i want to be able to keep in touch with my older kids who will be with me there....BUT....i'm afraid their friends will text them from the states and it will cost us a fortune...maybe renting a phone at the airport is the best way to go?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon connection?

ptdooey...where are you staying and are you taking the resort transfer or private?

Long Island
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon connection?

ptdooey

Cheapest is to NOT bring your cell phones from home. If you turn them on and text messages start to "download" you pay the price.

Renting a local phone in MBJ airport is an easy way to control costs. You pay-as-you-go, by buying pre-paid amounts. Approx $0.26 per minute to call international with USA included.