We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Honeymoon

Hartford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Place to Honeymoon

I have never been to Jamaica and my fiance wants to go for our Honeymoon in August. I want someplace romantic with a beach. I also want someplace where we can walk on the beach and eat true Jamaican food. He wants to have the feel of Jamaica and I want the romance of Jamaica. My head is exploding on where to go.lol. Any help would be great.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Honeymoon

For a honeymoon and your other wants I would say for sure Negril and the following hotels would be a great choice:

#1 Sandals Negril (on the 7 mile)

#2 Couples Swept Away (on the 7 mile)

#3 Couples Negril (on the bay)

#4 Grand Lido Negril (on the bay)

These are adults only couples only great honeymoon properties all in Negril. Being in Negril you can walk the 7 mile beach and stop at all the little restaurants and shops and what not from the 1st 2 resorts the other to are on the Bay which makes the beach more private but not really as good for touring and walking. Any other questions just ask :) Hope this helps.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Honeymoon

We really like Grand Lido Negril for romantic relaxation...and nine dining options. It's on the Bloody Bay section of 7-mile beach (BB is about 2.5 miles of gorgeous beach).

On Bloody Bay there are 5 all-inclusive resorts and an undeveloped section where locals sell crafts, fresh lobster and cold Red Stripe. It is very "rustic" but nice to visit.

Along the Long Bay section of 7-mile (a 4.5 mile stretch which most people call 7-mile) you have a ton of inclusive and non-inclusive resorts and lots of little bars and grills to eat. If you want a/i close to the action, you could check out Couples Swept Away.

Also along Long Bay, you could check out Moondance Villas. Get your own cook and enjoy!

Then on the cliffs of Negril you have some very nice, romantic properties, but no beach.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Bloody Bay came to my mind too if you'd like to be in the Negril area. You're limited to all-inclusive places there, but the beach is pretty, quiet, and romantic. The "Office of Nature" is the rustic place that was mentioned above and it's a really nice spot to chat with local folks and get the vibe. the main beach in Negril is nice, though it's busy and bustling and has a fair amount of hustling.

Another option if you want to spend lots of relaxing time without the hustle and bustle is Treasure Beach. There are many private houses & cottages, as well as a few nice medium-sized hotels. We split our honeymoon between there & Negril and enjoyed both. In TB, we walked for ~2 miles along the beach and not only didn't see anyone else, we didn't even see any other footprints. TB has very minimal nightlife, so it's more for the laid-back make your own fun type of time.

Congrats!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Since you are hoping for a romantic experience, want to walk the beach, get the feel of Jamaica, eat at off resort restaurants, and presumably be near the Negril nightlife, then forget the AI resorts mentioned above, most of which will not provide you with what you are looking for nor are within walking distance of anything and then consider Idle Awhile. It is in the middle of everything, has good room options, and is far more economical than the AI resorts.

Have a look at www.negrilonestop.com and www.negrilinfo.com

Hatteras Island...
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Idle Awhile. Great choice.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Thank you to everyone. I appreciate all of your input. We did decide to spend half on the beach and the other half on the cliffs. I do believe we have decided on the Rock House for the cliffs. Does anyone know if there are places to eat off site?

I did look at idle awhile and was wondering if it was good. So thank you for your input.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Lots of good places near Rockhouse to eat. No worries. And regarding Idle Awhile, it is a great little resort. The photos don't do it justice. The grounds are lush & beautiful and the beach area is great. It is one of the best non-AI resorts in Negril. Also it should be mentioned that it is owned by the same family who own the Couples resorts. Guests have free access to the great sports complex at Couples Swept Away.

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Honeymoon

Rockhouse - LTU and Xtabi are short cab rides away from Rockhouse. Both are great places for a romantic dinner. I would also recommend Jus' Natural for breakfast. Excellent french toast plus the owner and her children are super nice.

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Honeymoon

If you want to stay away from the crowded AI's in Bloody Bay then Sunset at the Palms might be a good choice for you - small, intimate, and great service. Most couples consider a romantic getaway. There are plenty of places to stay on 7-mile beach with a lot more bar & restaurant choices but it's also much busier with locals selling on the beach all day. You really can't go wrong either way.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Honeymoon

I agree, SATP would be ideal!

Beach/cliffs split. You made a great decision!

We just returned from doing just that (SATP/Tensing Pen). Had dinner @ Rockhouse once. It was good, guess I was just expecting WOW. Nonetheless, we'd go back...

Next time I'd like to try Xtabi and Catcha for dinner.

Have fun making your plans.

Naomi :-)