We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
42 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Hey Negril-junkies,

I know this isn't as exciting a question as Brazilian waxing, but...

I want to do the horseback riding, and I was just thinking that my shoes are: sneakers, flip flops and dressy sandals. What do I wear to ride the horses? Should I skip the sneakers (an in doing so, the GYM)and bring my Columbia sports sandals? Or go barefoot? I have water shoes for Mayfield Falls, but they really are for necessity only in my book!

Any advice??

Level Contributor
192 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

I am not sure if you have ever been horseback riding - since you are asking this question.... i would highly recommend shoes vs no shoes to start!!

Given your options.. i would opt for the sneakers.

While you are sitting on the horse you are gripping the horse with your thighs and pushing down on your feet.. Unless expert.... you will wnat something your feet...IMHO!!

If your Sports sandles have a good heel... and have staps of some sort... maybe??

I would opt for the sneakers... I have.

P.S.... personally - i would wear pants too!!

have fun!!

Question... how much for the riding???

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Definitely shoes with a heel. You risk slipping out of the stirrup in sandals or sneakers.

Long Island
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Shoe with a heel..... would that be a smart pump, stilettos, or "hug-me" pumps? ;-)

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

I wore sneakers -

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
42 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Wow sounds like sneakers it is. My issue is that the horse going into the water and I don't want my sneakers to get wet. I saw picks of sandals and barefoot.

I haven't ridden a horse - not since the pony ride 20 years ago at the fair, lol. So, I am a newbie.

I am going with TOTT and they said $60 pp w/ transportation. We are going maybe Mon or Tues (21,22).

If anyone is interested we can ride share for a lower price!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

I could be wrong, but I think you stop before you go into the water to change saddles on the horses, so you could change into your sandals at that time and save the sneaks from getting wet. I'm sure someone here can verify that.

Long Island
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

What kind of shoes and saddles do they use for water polo?

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

I wore my Teva type sports sandals when we rode, and I was fine in them. I can't remember if I took them off or not before we went into the water, but then they're the kind of sandal that you can wear in the water anyhow, so it's not really an issue.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

Hi,

I have been horseback riding many times in Negril and other places. I have always worn sneakers and have never had a problem. This goes for my wife and children also. One thing you might want to consider. Last time we went riding in JA my wife wore a little spaghetti strap top with not a lot of "support" if you get my drift. Once the horse started to canter things got kind of ummm "misplaced". So my advice is to wear a supportive top. In negril women tend to leave those things at home but a sturdy bra is a good choice when riding.

4 Days WooHooo

Jay

wisconsin
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Horseback Riding - WHAT SHOES??

I still remember the time we rode horses up into the mountains and there was this gal with high heel sandals and a swim suit. I can only imagine the pain she was in when we were finishied with the chafing she must have had! So my advice would be to wear sneakers or a Teva type shoe and capris.