We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

London
8 posts
Save Topic
Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

We are planning to go to Jamaica in first week of Jan 2009 for our Honeymoon. Along with great beaches and a romantic resort, we are also looking for activities like horse riding, excursions, nightlife, wild-life. Budget upto $600 per night. Would like to first pick the location between Negril, Mobay and Ochi and then the resort. Any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Also, are there any direct flights from Jamaica to St Lucia? Would like to spend the second week of our honeymoon in St Lucia.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

I have only been to Negril and Ocho Rios and of those 2, Negril takes it hands down. I found Ocho Rios to be extremely dirty plus that is where all the cruise ships dock and I just found it to be overcrowded and just not that relaxing.

Negril on the other hand I found to be wonderful. The 7 mile beach has everything going for it. You can walk along and find bars, restaurants, or just about anything you want. Negril also has good nightlife (which you mentioned you want). I really enjoyed Margaritaville, Risky Business, and Roots Bamboo. There is one I am missing out on which had excellent reggae music each night but can't remember the name for the life of me. It has been a few years since I have been there. Plus all of those are right on the beach which I love.

With regards to the accomodations here is where I have stayed. The first time I went was during college and I stayed at Legends which is definitely not a place you would want to consider for a honeymoon. The second time I stayed at Couples Swept Away which would be perfect for you. It is all-inclusive (I would not do a non-all inclusive in Jamaica) which includes everything except spa treatments. It is on the prime stretch of the 7 mile beach and there is very little negative I could say about it. Food was superb (especially Feathers restaurant) and the people were very nice.

When my wife and I return to Negril we will either return to Swept Away or try the Caves which I have heard extremely positive things about as well.

I do not know if there are direct flights to St Lucia or not.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

Just curious why you said you wouldn't do a non-AI in Jamaica?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

Just my preference for Jamaica. For the most part when I visit Jamaica except for a night out at a bar or a once or twice a trip watersport excursion or tour, I stay on the resort. Plus I am very into nice cuisine and have found (from my personal experience as well as reviews) that the all inclusives have the best meals. While staying at Swept Away I went off the resort for 2 dinners at highly recommended places and they were defiitely my 2 least favorite meals of the trip. So it is just my preference.

Other islands (such as Aruba for example) I would never consider staying at an all-inclusive due to how many good restaurants and activities there are.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

"I would not do a non-all inclusive in Jamaica"

i definatly feel the opposite about this especially in Jamaica. guess ive read the opposite about AI food. and there are too many wonderful choices to choose from in Negril. would hate to be tied down to an AI. to each their own i guess.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

There are direct flights from Kingston to St Lucia, cant find any direct from Montego Bay, you would have to do MB-KIN-CAS

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

You'd probably like Coyaba in Mo Bay too.

Negril has the largest connected beach by far. Maybe consider a Couples or Sandals resort as those are both considered upscale and you have a fairly large budget to work with.

Another consideration would be Rockhouse in the west end of Negril. Its on a cliff overlooking the ocean not a beach but is quite a place. I beleive they have a make shift beach area with sand and a ladder that goes into the ocean now too. I saw it the last time I was at Pirate's Cave before they closed.

One more consideration would be Breezes Runaway Bay

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

My two cents, couples swept away in Negril. There is next to no nightlife there but there is a Margaritaville walkimg distance down the beach and an outdoor concert bar as well. (I do not remember the name) I am an AI lover, I just hate to have to get my act together to eat and drink, I much prefer to walk 5 minutes to eat and 3o seconds to get a drink!!!

8. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 15:18