We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calling home from jamaica

Farmington, Missouri
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
calling home from jamaica

we have never been to negril and are leving in less than 2 weeks. just wondering if anyone has used their cell phones ( we have at&t) and what is the best way to contact people in the states? please help we don't want to waste tons of money on minutes.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calling home from jamaica

Lots of info available. Type Cell Phone in the box at the top of the Negril Forum page.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calling home from jamaica

you can rent a cell phone there for around $20 or buy one for around $30...

minutes arent very much either. we bought some minutes for $11 and lasted us for 4 days of calling home to check on the kids. sorry cant remember how many minutes it was though.

much better than what it would cost you on your own cell phone.

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
358 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: calling home from jamaica

I was in Negril last year Sept. I have ATT and I used my cell phone. Never had a problem reaching home or receiving calls, but my bill was high. If memory serves me correctly. 1.99 per min. If you decide to use your cell you have to make sure you have atleast dual band, and you have to call your provider and have them set your phone for International calling. Just call them or check it out on the website.

Indiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: calling home from jamaica

Just went this month decided to leave my cell phone @ home for fear of a huge bill. I got a international calling card for $20.00 but the Riu still charged $1.66 per call from your room. But i called home everyday (8 days) and it only cost a total of about $100.00. Not too bad and no surprise cell phone bill when I got home. Have a great trip!!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: calling home from jamaica

american phones tend to be in the $2.00/minute range.

international calling cards are not substantially better.

best bet is using a rented or bought Digicel phone while there, calling from Digicel Jamaica to US is usually $0.15/minute or so.

i have an unlocked GSM phone (motorola PEBL U6), i pop out my AT&T SIM card when i go and pop in a digicel jamaica card and can call no problem, have no signal issues while there, make inexpensive local calls, receive calls, etc.

if you have AT&T and you've had your plan for awhile, it's worth seeing if they will unlock your phone from their network.

my PEBL is a quad-band phone so it'll work anywhere GSM is supported. depending on your phone, you'll have to make sure it'll work on digicel's bands

900/1800 - usually most TriBand phones will work, all quad-band phone will work, many dual-band phones from the US won't.

6. Re: calling home from jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 08:15