We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

Anna, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

My cellular service is with Verizon, could anyone tell me if you can get cell service with Verizon in Negril?

When I went to Cancun & Puerto Vallarta, I had TMobile, they assured me that I could get a signal...well I couldn't. So, I just wanted to check with someone that has been to Negril & has Verizon & actually got a signal.....

Thanks a bunch!!

35 SLEEPS TO GO!!!!

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

We have Verizon as well. Two years ago when we stayed at Beaches, we could use our cellphones, perfect reception too, and the charges were only $12, but this last June when we stayed at CocoLaPalm, we couldn't dial direct and talk but we could send and receive text messages, but this time when I got the bill, there were no extra charges whatsoever. Weird!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

We used our Verizon phone in Negril last year and it worked fine, but was a little costly for us.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

Because this was our first trip out of the country and our kids were @ home w/ relatives, we opted to rent a phone thru Rentacall. We liked that we'd be assigned the number prior to leaving for JA. We kinda figured our phones (Verizon) would work down there but we didn't want to take any chances.

With that said, our phones worked fine. Be sure to activate International Roaming....

Naomi :-)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

My last trip it depended on where in Negril I was... my Verizon cell worked fine mid-beach, but out on the cliffs I had to walk around for a good signal. Year before that at SATP had to walk around a bit to find a good spot too...

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

I used verizon last month with no issues. Will cost about $20 for 6-7 minutes of calls though.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

My verizon works in JA. Just call them Verizon before you go and make sure your international call setting is on. It was free to have them set it. It was about 50 cents to connect and 40 cents per minute. My texting did not work but other people's did. I called 2 times to JA last month and recieved 2 calls from JA total about 20 min and my bill was $8 extra.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

Last Feb we made three calls home from Negril using verizon and it cost an extra $25.00 on our bill. Only talked a few minutes each call. Do make sure you add international calling, which is free. You need to activate it tho before you go by calling #211 I think. Ask Verizon and they will tell you what to do.

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

1. Check for Service: Refer to our Coverage Maps to see whether this service is available in your destination or cruise line.

2. Dial *611 or call (800) 899-4249 or contact a Verizon Wireless representative to enable International Roaming.

3. Roam: When you arrive at your destination, make and receive calls using your phone.

Love, Maryjane, you didn't set up before you went away. Thats why you could only text and receive calls. I forgot to set up my phone last August, so I had to have my fiance set it up with me on 3 way call to VZ wireless.. As I couldn't call out. lol.

The only dead zone I encounter in Negril is on the cliffs.

9. Re: Verizon cell phones in Negril.....can you hear me now??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:22