We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stray cats

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CALUMRT PARK IL
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
stray cats

I will be vacationing in NEGRIL MAY 2009 and staying at CocoLaPalm for seven nocs. I'VE been reading TA for knowledge and understanding of the Island. And, I must give thanks to everyone for the wisdom I have obtained from JA travelers especiallly Negril. But, the one thing I need to know (so that I can prepare myself).Are there a lots of stray cats in the "TOURISTS " population? My greatest fear is that I will not be able to relax on the beach or eat somewhere without looking out for a Cat.I AM truely afraid of a Cat jumping on me or in my lap.I'VE been told that Cats can smell fear. No, I AM not an animal hater, I just prefer Dogs over Cats. I will greately appreciate some infro. on this question. THANKS IN ADVANCE--Yes, I will be a Newbie. And, A very excited one.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: stray cats

Very few cats around. They are quite timid and won't bother you in any event. I don't recall ever seeing one at CCLP. Any that I've seen typically hang around a few of the restaurants like Jamaica Tamboo and Coconut International. None at the more upscale places like Kuyaba or Tanya's.

You'll be fine. No worries.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stray cats

the feral cats will not come anywhere near you, if there are even any around - you'd be hard-pressed to be able to pick them up - they'd never jump on you.

domestic cats will turn back to feral faster and more successfully than just about any other animal - so no worries.

just leave them alone and you'll be fine.

CALUMRT PARK IL
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: stray cats

Wow/ Bless you Blues Pirates and Rawlus for a quick reply. Thanks so much. Now I can relax and continue to count down the sleeps with excitement and ease. many respect

Hatteras Island...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: stray cats

If you prefer dog's over cat's then you are going to the right place. I have seen vary few cat's but lot's of small brown dog's. We alway's brink a bag of small dog biscuts when going to Negril.

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stray cats

Yes, there were a couple of cats that were hanging around CocoLapalm in June when we were there. They were very sweet, shy, and harmless. My kids tried to make friends with them, but they were pretty timid. No worries!

NY
Level Contributor
557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stray cats

OneHeart 8,

Yes, there are stray cats and dogs in J. They will leave you alone but some will try to beg if you are out eating. Seeing that you are a dog lover check out the website for The Animal House. Also, if possible bring some treats with you for the dogs.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: stray cats

If I remember correctly, Marley's by the sea is at Coco Lapalm. There were a couple of stray cats there when we ate dinner in July. They didn't come near the tables.

I saw many feral cats in Negril, DH laughed at how I found one nearly every day. They didn't approach unless invited. One waited on our porch every night for dinner. We would have loved to take her home.

I wouldn't worry about them jumping up on you. They seem to know to stay clear unless encouraged to cuddle.

8. Re: stray cats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 06:20