We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Negril

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches Negril

Well, we are back! :(

We arrived on the 5th August and left on the 19th! We had a fantastic, relaxing, fun 2 weeks.

It really was like going home again! On arrival we were greeted in style and whisked away to the concierge room. We hadn't booked this category and kind of wondered why. Well, we were upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite with concierge service. That was a big bonus to us!

We quickly started noticing some changes that have been going on under the new General Manager, Howard Spittle. There were lots of new umbrellas around the pools and areas that were once bare had new patio tables, chairs and umbrellas. There has been some repainting going on and lots was being done while we were there. There were more activities going on and an inclusion of a Reggae Day with stalls put up on many things about Jamaican culture and food. The night shows and activities have improved as well with more family oriented "game show" type activities.

The nursery/Kids Camp was as good as ever. Our son loves the nannies and the nanny to child ratio is VERY good. Many times my son would have 2/3 nannies to himself! His favourite from last year remained he favourite this year, Pollyanna! I can say enough about this woman. She really knows how to entertain little boys and she was one of the few that my son would obey. I even left him for 3 hours to go off resort and I felt totally comfortable with this.

The restaurants were good. We didn't eat at the buffet much as we don't like buffets. However, the Tex-Mex, Kimonos and the Seville were great. The Seville was exceptional and I got to eat lobster twice as it was the special of the day when we went. It was a six course meal with terrific service.

All the staff were wonderful. There was always a smile and they knew our names. They would ask if all was fine and if we needed anything. If we did, they saw to it and sorted it out.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches Negril

YEY! Glad you had such a great time :)

What was the Honeymoon suite like? we have booked one of those, which block were you in and what was the view from the balcony like?

At breakfast, was there American style pancakes and waffles? my kids love having those on holiday!

How was the security at the resort? did you always feel safe and have no problems with items gouing missing? (while you have been away there have been numerous threads on thefts from rooms of other resorts)

How was Kimonos? was it difficult to get reservations?

Did you find the resort clean? there have been a few reviews recently about it being dirty with litter/plates/cups not being cleared away.

Did you do any excursions?

Iv got a ton of other questions but will leave it that for now! Glad you all had a great time xxx

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches Negril

What was the Honeymoon suite like? we have booked one of those, which block were you in and what was the view from the balcony like?

We were in the Santa Cruz Block. We liked the location. From our balcony I could see the ocean (through the trees), and the gardens facing the Water Sports Building. The gardens were very well maintained and nice to look at. The room itself was nice. It is large with a king size 4 poster bed. They is a large picture window and glass patio doors. There is a sofa that is a pull out bed and a chair. The armoire is has 6 large drawers and a tv and coffee maker in one section and fully stocked fridge in the other. You have a choice of liquors you can chose from as well as a variety of pops, mixers, juices and water. The changing room area has two basins and 2 large mirrors. It is lacking in hangers if you are there for a while. But, I am not a neat freak and it didn't bother me. The bath is not a large one but it was new, as was the toilet. It is the one part of the room however, that I would suggest doing up more. In the main room there was also a desk with a wall mounted hairdryer and 2 more mirrors.

At breakfast, was there American style pancakes and waffles? my kids love having those on holiday!

Yes, you will find freshly made American style pancakes. The waffles, however, were the toaster type. (last year they were freshly made every day. However there was always a line.)

How was the security at the resort? did you always feel safe and have no problems with items gouing missing? (while you have been away there have been numerous threads on thefts from rooms of other resorts)

SEcurity is VERY tight at BN! No one comes on the property or goes off the property without it being noted, if you are a guest, or moved on if you are not a guests. Everyone that we talked to actually commented on the security and how safe they all felt. In the two weeks I was there there were no thefts that I had heard of. We always keep our valuables in the safe. However, there are lost of bits and pieces I left about the room that could have easily been stolen and everything was always left in place. This is my 4th time to a Sandals/Beaches and I have always felt safe and have NEVER heard of a theft while on the resort. I assure you, if it had happened, people would have talked!

How was Kimonos? was it difficult to get reservations?

Kimonos is great. We prefer to have lunch because it is the same menu minus the deserts. However, the mains are ALL cooked and you can try all of them. The show is the same as well. There is no reservations needed for lunch. Evening is more difficult. My suggest is to book an evening or two as soon as you arrive in order not to be disappointed.

Did you find the resort clean? there have been a few reviews recently about it being dirty with litter/plates/cups not being cleared away.

I read those same reviews and really had to laugh somewhat. At times, yes, there can be lots of plates and cups about. Why? Well, because people think it is ok just to leave dirty plates about when there are obvious areas to put the dirty plates and cups! It annoyed me to no end to see people just put dishes down on the ground only a few feet from a tray for dishes! At busy times, yes, the bar can get filled with empty cups. The bartenders do tidy up. However, they feel more obliged to make your drinks first then to take the glasses away and wash before taking your order. I never felt that the staff were neglecting their duties of tidying up. On more than one occasion I saw the various managers tidying up, helping out the workers who were rushed off their feet by some VERY demanding people!

Did you do any excursions?

My husband went deep sea fishing and we went to Margaritaville. We have a 2 year old and excursions are not conducive to excursions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches Negril

Brilliant info! Thanks :) Sounds like you had such a great time, any plans to return? Go on....you know you want too!!! :)

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches Negril

I'm so glad to read your mini-review - I knew you'd have a great time. :)

Thanks for the tip about eating lunch at Kimono's - that's new since we were there last.

I think we're going to book our trip tomorrow, so I've got a big smile on my face today and your review made it even bigger! Thanks!

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches Negril

We do plan on returning to BN. We have gone two summers in a row now. However, I think that next summer we are heading to Beaches Turks and Caicos. In the last 4 summers we have spent 3 in Jamaica and , even though we love Jamaica, we fancy a different island to see what it is like. We talked to people who have been to BT&C and some preferred BT&C and some preferred BN. Everyone had their own different reasons. So, I would like to try for myself! :) All in the pursuit of knowledge of course!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches Negril

I fancied the T & C Beaches too, especially with the new water park being built. What is the flight situation to T & C from the UK? I assume you would have to fly to Miami then a connectiong flight to Provo? Might be cheaper to do that all seperatley instead of the usual 2 week package deals, maybe even have a few extra days in Miami for shopping? I think I have just talked myself into that lol!

Kimonos seems like a good plan for lunch, Mr CBR and the kids tend to like the buffet for dinner so they are not tied to set times and dont have to sit through 2 hour meals. Although I am really looking forward to a couple of adult meals at the Seville, hubby's just going to have to suck it in and deal with it LOL

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches Negril

<<I think we're going to book our trip tomorrow, so I've got a big smile on my face today and your review made it even bigger! Thanks!>>

Ohhhh how exciting!!!! Its such a great feeling knowing its all booked and the deposit paid, makes it feel all official he he :) make sure you let us know how you got on and what dates you booked, you were thinking sometime in June right? :)

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches Negril

Kimonos seems like a good plan for lunch, Mr CBR and the kids tend to like the buffet for dinner so they are not tied to set times and dont have to sit through 2 hour meals.

The ONLY restaurant you make reservations for is Kimonos. Tex-Mex (Last Chance) has some GREAT steaks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches Negril

Glad to hear you had some good steak, hubby and eldest daughter could eat their weight in NY strip he he :)

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches Negril

>>> I think that next summer we are heading to Beaches Turks and Caicos.

You will not be disappointed :-}