We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

Nevada
9 posts
Save Topic
Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

Are any members at Sandals Negril at this time, after Gustav hit? We were wondering about damage to the property, beach, etc.

Thank you for any information.

Prayers go out to those caught in the storm and for lose living in the nightmare.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

haven't heard about the resort as of yet but have talked to two handsfull of staff all of which were at their homes and had downed powerlines around their houses and flooding, all were supposed to have gone back to work today if the rains subsided. last i heard from any of them was last at 9pm pst.. of note some were still fearful and some were in excellent spirits based on what was upon them! we will be there in 13 days! but also watchin i think it is L97 commin off the cape verde islands that has strong possibilities of formation today and tomorrow

Dahlonega, GA USA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

I have an acquaintance returning from Sandals on Tuesday Sept. 2, and I'll try to get a report and post it here...

Anna, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

I have sent a few emails to Rory @ Sandals & have not had a reply as of yet. We are due there on Friday. A fellow traveler called Sandals & they stated everything was ok, a few limbs down, but no real damage.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

I know that it is not Sandals Negril but I heard from the GM at Beaches Negril this morning and he said that all was well, except for some minor clean up stuff. I am thinking that by tomorrow, the resort should be close to normal. Sandals Negril is not far away from Beaches Negril, so I am thinking positive thoughts for them too:)

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

I also got a letter from the GM of BN. Last year we were there during Hurricane Dean. It took about a day for things to go back to normal. I expect everything to be up and running as expected today at BN and I would think SN would be close to that.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

just got off the phone with some employees.. due to power outtages they are just now getting back use of electronics.. ie cellphones and computers, i know sienna of tott came back up yest afternoon. SN however is business as usual as of right now just usual clean up.. i'll be getting another call in a couple of hours and will update on the beach but everything else is fine, resort speaking.. most of my friends there had to deal with the flooding to get to work from their homes. i know one had to wade thru mud and carry his clean clothes on his back and a jug of water to rinse off.. but knowing him for years his spirits are not broken.. his words.. life a likkle compromised right now but mi stil hav a dredge thru dis.. i'll post later when i get my next call

Mission Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

I just got off the phone with my local friends in Jamaica. They live right outside of Negril. I am told the beaches are worse than they when Hurricane Dean hit. However, they clean the beaches so quickly there. They personally have powerlines they are having repaired today. But most importantly they are safe. My husbands travels are so different now because when have such dear and close friends that are locals there now. With that it makes me think so differently of what my concerns are than what they used to be. I know from personal experience having been there last year for Hurrican Dean that the resort itself is like a fine tunned machine and will get everything up and running as if the Hurricane never it. Either way my husband and I will be traveling in two weeks and simply cannot wait to hug our friends.

8. Re: Gustav damage to Sandals, Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 21:17