We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Info on Air Jamaica

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Info on Air Jamaica

I have heard a few complaints regarding flights on Air Jamaica especially flying out of Chicago. Is this an issue? Does anyone have any experience with Air Jamaica? Do they provide anything during the flight? Were flying out on Sept 8th at 6:20am from Chicago...Figured it was early enough to miss the delays.

On a side note, what is the likelyhood that flights will still fly into Jamaica (MB) even with the outer bits of a hurrican (IKE) there?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

I've personally been very pleased with Air Jamaica from Toronto to Kingston, but Chicago is not one of their stronger routes... i'm not sure about departures (and if that is a new scheduled time or not? but you're right, earlier flights do tend to be impacted less by delays than later ones)... but i have heard a few nightmares about return delays...

As for Ike... no one knows where this storm will be in 4+ days... watch it carefully, early predictions have it possibly in the area...

heads up, AJ seems to typically very cautious and is often the first to cancel flights if there is a threat....

Chelle

Oconomowoc...
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

I have flown out of Chicago on AirJam 5 times and each one was on time. Coming back is another story. Each one has been delayed. Now, I do fly in feb so weather is a huge issue. Last year the flight was delayed 5 hours because of bad weather in New York..which is where the plane taking us back to Chicago was coming in from. I will be again flying AirJam Feb 2009. I have no worries..I leave that up to my TA. We have been fed each time also. Not the greatest of food, but it's better than nothing..and it is free, at least it has been.

If you are staying at a resort in MoBay, have them check for delays (returning flight) before you leave for the airport. 9 times out of 10 your resort will keep you on property until it is "really" time to leave. That is if the flight is going to be delayed HOURS. This has been my experience.

In my opinion, AirJamica is no better or worse than any other airline. I use it because they offer non-stop flights in Feb to Jamaica.

I hope your trip is exciting and you have no airplane issues. :)

Good Luck,

Tiffany

Orangeville, Ill
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

We flew Air Jamaica last year out of Chicago in Feb. and we had no problems at all. Our flight on the way home was on time too. This year we are flying out of Milwaukee at the end of Feb. Can't wait, need a vacation!

Ashland, Virginia
Level Contributor
772 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

I flew on them out of Baltimore. I had no problems. You r not flying on a US carrier. We flew over Cuba.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

You can go on the Air Jamaica website and check flight status (actual arrival and departure times) for all flights yesterday and today. If you do it for the next couple days it should give you a good idea of what is going on.

We have flown AJ out of Philly and back and get breakfast and dinner. Also free headphones for the movie. And free champagne.

Indiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

We used Air Jamaica this past July early flight on time there and back was great! Great service breakfast and a movie on way home dinner and a movie. Will use them again next year :) Enjoy your trip.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

I flew Air Jamaica Aug 28th out of Baltimore, no issues but flying from Montego Bay back to Baltimore the flight was delayed 2 hours..I guess its the luck of the draw....

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

We always try to fly from BWI to Montego Bay on Air Jamaica when we go to Jamaica. Last time we flew AJ was this past May (2008) and it was for our wedding. They were AWESOME! On time, and treated my wedding dress with such care and hung it in the closet for me. Never had a problem with them. Yes, some flights have been delayed an hour or two....but you can have that with any airline.

Oh...and they give you a full meal. Breakfast in the morning. Usually a choice of french toast or a cheese omlette. Dinner in the evenings...can't remember the choices. But, I do remember that breakfast is MUCH better than dinner. :)

Turtle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

i like the fact that they serve fairly authentic jamaican food... it's not great... but it's much better than what some airlines try to pass off as food...

breakfast is an omlette or ackee saltfish (i always take the ackee)... dinner options are usually stew or jerk chicken and a pasta... have seen beef too, but usually chicken...

the champagne is a nice touch too (albeit it a cheap, nasty one lol)... for breakfast ask for 1/2 champagne and 1/2 orange juice... (this actually has a name, i can't remember what it is lol)... it's a nice way to start off your vacation (or actually deal with the fact that you are leaving)

i've had great service and very reliable, and fairly on time service on air jamaica, but i've only used them in/out of kingston... i've heard they are sometimes not as efficient out of montego bay...

Chelle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Info on Air Jamaica

*1/2 champagne and 1/2 orange juice... (this actually has a name, i can't remember what it is*

Mimosas, yum!!!