We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just wondering...................

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
817 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Just wondering...................

We recently stayed at the Riu Negril, but used the beach at the RMB. One partivular day, we were floating in the water, on our water hammocks, and started feeling burning sensations on our backs, arms, legs etc at separate times. We didn't see anything in the water and weren't sure what was happening. The burning sensation would last approx 10 - 15 min at each area and go away and not leave a mark. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Could it be baby jellyfish or are they visible in the water? We have been traveling in the caribbean and mexico for about 10 years now and never experienced this. It only happened one day after a night of thunderstorms. thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just wondering...................

no idea, but it doesn't really sound like seabathers eruption (the jellyfish larva stuff) to me unless you developed a bad rash afterwards... i've never experienced but what i've heard is the following:

they are not easily detectable in the water, but if you are looking you might notice it kinda looks like pepper floating on top of the water

you might experience something similar to what you've described when you come in contact with them

someone who comes in contact with it, typically quickly develops an obvious red, itchy rash (much more so in the areas that are swim suit covered)...

unless you rinsed very well and properly, (and i cant remember exactly how this is done, removing all clothing and rinsing with salt water i think), you'd get the rash within a few hours after you get out of the sea... many ppl who experience it don't have any issues until this point..

by RMB did you mean RTB? or did you go into Montego Bay... if so that would put you there when the storm hit probably, no? maybe this was some werid phenomena related to something stirred up by the storm? dunno

if you didn't get a rash, i'd say it's nothing to be too worried about... sounds weird tho

Chelle

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just wondering...................

From little I know, could be one of two things. Either you were stung by a jellyfish and since you didn't actually seethem, you are assuming it might be word..immiediately afrgeter getting out of the woater, you hve suggestions to pee on it, but that doesn't alwyas work. however, ahs they did with my daughter (on the graudation party), is the locals right there, made her take a few shots of overproof rum, then sperad it all over her leges. She smelled like a drunk, but said she fell much better, evn to the point of wanting to go shoping...(then again ANY child who wan't to go back will say they feel find as mucha as possible,

3. Re: Just wondering...................

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 13:18