We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What sort of things

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What sort of things

are must buy souvenirs on a first trip to Negril?? We always like to bring something back from each country - can't go too mad though or the house would start looking like a tip lol

jen

Mo Bay
Level Contributor
113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What sort of things

You can pick up some beautiful wood carvings from the vendors in Negril.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What sort of things

While I have purchased carvings, handbags, & sarongs in the past, I basically came home this time with a bag filled with Blue Mountain coffee, catchup, festival mix, Jamaican sugar, and spices. Fish seasoning, pork seasoning, curry, jerk seasoning, hot wing seasoning! LOL I can have a taste of Jamaica everyday!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What sort of things

Look for Mason the wood carver at Waves Events lot which is mid-beach on Long Bay. His work is very high quality and quite unique.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What sort of things

If you buy a rather large carving or statue ect.. How would you get it home? Can it be checked in with your luggage or send it another way? And what would it cost? I've seen people at the airport with wrapped Item's at customs, and they were opening them all up. It just seems like it would be a big pain in the rump to go through all of that? Right or wrong? They do have some really nice things that I would like to get, but I was always leary on how to bring it home.

Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What sort of things

We just buy small wall carvings & pack them among our clothes so do not get broken.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What sort of things

Not alot of responses so I'm left with the thought, not alot of hugh Item's being brought back home from Ja.?

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What sort of things

Unless you're into wood carvings, or bead type jewelry, there isn't much to bring home.

The local liquid refreshments are about all we return with after a lot of visits to Jamaica.

Try the rum cream, you may wish you brought an extra bag.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What sort of things

Thanks for all the replies.

Apparently one of the chaps my husband works with brought back a wood carving a few years ago, but must admit I did wonder how you would manage if it was large. The rum cream sounds delicious - now that is something I'll be looking for. Only problem we've got is we can only bring 1litre each back into the UK and I know OH will want some Appletons.

jen

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What sort of things

nyabinghi drum.

10. Re: What sort of things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 22:19