We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

What have you all been seeing in terms of rates for 2009? Has this global recession caused lower room rates yet for all-inclusives in Jamaica, or should we wait a few months more? Especially for the higher end resorts like Couples, Beaches, etc.?

Waiting for the best time to book a Feb '09 trip?

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

While published prices are "written in stone" months in advance, internet sites for companies like Apple and Funjet are showing last minute deals. They usually don't show up till 1-2 months before departure date.

Example-Christmas week, usually the most expensive week to travel, I received a discount of $1800 for my wife and myself. Makes it less expensive than going to the same resort any other time of year. (according to published rates)

If you want to go in Feb, the discounts will start to show around the first week in Dec. The rates may get lower the closer to departure date.

Or maybe not.:-)

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Depends who you listen to.

Agents (here in the UK) are saying prices will definetly increase from 2009, quoting fuel surcharge increases (amoungst other variables) so they are advising to book early - however they would say that - they are looking to secure bookings now.

Im sure because of the global financial situation, resorts will probably be offering good incentives next year when they realise clients are putting holidays last on the list when they have mortgages to pay - holidays are a luxury and therefore one of the 1st things to go when a family is looking to make cut backs.

Some other people I speak to swear that booking 12 months in advance guarantees better prices.

I booked my recent trip to JA 12 months before I went - stupidly I kept logging on later down the year to see what the prices were doing - I was gutted to see if I had waited I could have got the holiday with the same tour operator nearly £400 cheaper if I'd booked 3 months before going!!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

I am waiting for after the first of the year to look at booking for us. But we are not planning on traveling until July so I have time to wait.

But I have a freind in the industry working for a resort on another island and she has not seen a decline in bookings.

Toronto
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

If Ever there was a year to wait this is it.

Fuel cost going down and so are the amount of tourists this year.

I'm waiting till Jan. when cash is tight to book my April trip.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Historically speaking Feb. & March are the most expensive months of the year for travel to Jamaica. I have never seen last minute specials for the higher end AI resorts like Couples, Beaches or Sandals during this time. Last minute deals are always available during those months for the typically less expensive resorts like the RIUs, Gran Bahia, Royal Decameron, etc etc because they are never at capacity. Whether or not there are any deals this year on the more in demand resorts as the OP is asking is really a crap shoot this year. Also keep in mind there is a possibility that they are already fully booked well in advance of this economical downturn. The longer you wait the less the chances of even getting a room. If you are willing to settle for the lesser quality resorts I've mentioned chances are very good you will still get a deal up to two weeks before departure.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

When we booked our trip to Rockhouse (May 09) we tried to get in in April but they were booked for all the villas for 10 day stays. (they had shorter stays available). We booked in April of 08!!!

So it depends on if you want to risk not getting into your first choice.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Like BP said, the higher-end places are usually booked at least 6 - 8 months in advance. And while the wealthier clientel that frequent those places may have less money than a few weeks ago, they're still doing just fine. I'd be surprised if any "deals" are available there until after high season. At that point, it will depend on where the economy is. But, if there are deals, I would expect a corresponding dip in the level of service and the quality and quantity of food and drink.

travelgal731
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Hi

I have heard Air Jamaica just introduced a special fare of $144 each way based on avail.. I believe it must be booked by 11/3.

Feb, however, is high season. Many holidays during that month. Always, lots of travel happens in Feb.

Some resorts are offering early booking deals.

I would not wait to book February travel. In think that the closer you wait..you could be trapped into paying more.

Check out some local travel agencies rather than big booking online sites. Maybe you will find a better deal that way.

Good Luck

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

I've been watching the Beaches rates and they haven't gone down for June yet. They're usually booked solid in June, we'll see what happens next year. We're already booked so if the price goes down our final payment goes down as well.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican AI Resorts Are prices lower for the February '09?

Hi all;

I didn't know what to do for our January trip this year either. Just like everyone else on this site, I check prices almost daily on the resorts looking for a deal.

We wanted to go to Couples this year and they are quite expensive. Long story short, I got a great deal on 2 weeks in January and booked it in September. Just had a call from my TA and it turns out the tour operator is also doing a promotion that if the price goes down between now and then we get it. Quite amazing. I got 2 weeks at Couples for about 600 more than we paid for 1 week at Sandals Dunns last Jan.

If you are in Canada, try booking a Sunquest vacation and you will have price protection.