We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

My apologies I started to post in Negril but the Internet access in our room was in and out, more out than In. I have posted pictures to follow along with at http://kentoday.com/travel

I kept a daily journal, took lots of pictures so our family can remember this trip for a long time to come. If you would like I would love to share some of it with you.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Get detail and photos...that bar is 23/7. I love it!

pa
Level Contributor
154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

The kids and I really want to vacation in Negril.(end of June) My husband had a bad expierence in Cancun in 06. It was extremely hot.which is to be expected.and he fainted on the bus! Is super hot in Jamaica at this time also? Or should we wait for a cooler month?

bmt
Limestone,New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

linnytoons, Glad your to be reading your review. The Bar with Bob Marley on the ceiling looks like it could be 23/7 and the gentelman that you talked to may have been John the owner. They do a webcast from there on sunday evening along with other spots in Negril

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

crabcakes

If you do some websurfing you will find the high temp in Jamaica will be in the high 80's year round. The ocean seems to moderate the temp. I have been there in June and it was great. I have never experienced the high temps there that I have seen in Phila or the Jersey or De beaches. Sounds strange but true.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

This is good stuff!!!!!!

I so love that your Nana came on this trip...

I've tried everything to convince my 80 year old mom, but no luck.

Did you have any strategy in covincing "Nana" to get on a plane for the first time in he life?

Happy Travel's

BBB

pa
Level Contributor
154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Thanks Longnecker-

We also vacation in Jersey and Delaware and temps there at times are unbearable. But it was crazy Hot in Mexico that time. Sounds good as far as temps for Jamaica. Think I've almost have him convinced!! Thanks!

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

For the next bit we walked along the beach looking at more shops getting offered who knows what. We were out of cash and found out that if we cut through Bourbon beach we could cross the road and use the atm at time square shopping center. On the way in there was a Jerk chicken stand. It smelled good but we were full of the food and drink we gathered along the way. Went in to shopping area not really what we expected but it had an atm coffee shop and some stores for us to look around. This atm seemed only to dispense US money so I only took out forty. I later found out Beaches Negril charges sixteen dollars yes sixteen dollars per person for return transportation and I think they leave you there for two hours. I bet some people are sure disappointed . If you look on their tours website some of the prices are messed up. beachesresorts.com/main/ng/ng-activities.cfm be careful how much you pay. I can say some are a rip off for sure. Cabs are cheap almost so cheap you feel guilty for what the drivers ask for. At Beaches do not leave through front gate. They give you a big hassle and basically infer that something bad will happen if you do not use their Juta tour busses for transportation. Ok enough of a rant for now. We left the times square and Nana wanted to walk into Negril along the road. We walked a bit but the sun had come out and decided to take on of the many cabs that asked us if we needed a ride. The cab driver took us through town and to a shopping plaza past burger king and towards the cliffs. When we asked he said four dollars for the trip. Are you kidding me you cannot even get in a cab for that at home. I gave him ten he said he would wait around. Not much here a decent size grocery store and a few stores. Do no know what it was called. But next time definitely a been there done that thing. I know it sounds weird but Jamie wanted to go to Burger King for lunch so the driver took us there. It was an expensive lunch once we did the conversion. Also it was quite busy and we experienced a little bit of Jamaican time. We took some pictures of some goats tied up in the bushes beside burger king. Could some one explain why goats were tied up roadside every where? After lunch we went into the Scotia bank got some Jamaican money from their atm. We looked around a bit and bought some coffee from the grocery store. There was not a lot of tourists in the town center at the time, this was the only time we found the local hustle a bit over overwhelming. Do not get me wrong we didn’t feel unsafe just a bit pushed around.

Back to the resort. I think all the cab rides with tips cost us twenty five. Our driver’s name was Chris he had a bit of a stutter but talked to us and told us about things all the way. He was laughing when he told us about ladies night at the Jungle night club. It was free for the ladies that night but there was three guys for every lady. I laughed and told him that sounded very familiar. Chris gave us his card and told us to call him if we wanted to go anywhere else. Chris also said that he used to drive for the resorts and said they were stealing peoples money with what they charge. Bed now will update later if your not tired of hearing from me.

Also posted some more pictures http://kentoday.com/travel

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Smokinbbb she was yes, no maybe so on a yes day we took her to a travel agent and booked. As she is older and lets say more pennywise and smarter than some of us. She would have flown there on the wing once she had paid.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Interesting report on the business near the roundabout. We've only gone as far as the craft market (and to Rick's by boat), so you've done more than me in one trip already! :)

Smart to book Nana on a Yes day! LOL!!

Loving the reports, not tired of them at all!! Keep them coming, I'm living vicariously through you until I can get there next June.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Just Back From Beaches Negril Day by Day

Excellent reports Linnytoons.

"Could some one explain why goats were tied up roadside everywhere"?

I've not been to Jamaica yet, but I've visited a few other places in the Carribean. It is quite common for Goat to be curried or cooked some other way in that neck of the woods!! Maybe they're tethered and waiting for the day when they will meet their maker (via a pot)!!