We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about GLN

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about GLN

Long story short, my mom and I were originally booked at Country Country in mid-December but will now be staying at the GLN for my brothers wedding. So now I'm frantically researching the resort (I'm an unapologetic Type A personality :^) )

We stayed at Couples Negril next door a few years ago and absolutely loved it there, and just got back from Sandals Whitehouse which was also wonderful. However, the jist of many recent reviews at GLN talk about the run-down state of the resort, non-existent towels and sub-par food. Is this just an off month or two or just very discriminating/complaining travelers? If I enjoyed CN and SWH can I expect similar at GLN?

Thanks in advance!

Suzan

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about GLN

Hello Suz,

My wife and I were at GLN this past July and absolutely loved it. I too had read and continue to read about the resorts "run-down" look. I cannot speak for others, but that was no where in evidence only a few short montha ago. A cracked or chipped tile here and there, or an area that perhaps could have used a new coat of paint, but you will find that anywhere. If one looks hard enough, you will eventually find something. We never had a problem getting towels, the beach is gorgeous, the food very good, and the staff treated us very well. We have also been to Sandals Whitehouse (twice) and will be returning there again in Feb. There are a few things we liked better at SWH, but we also liked a few things better at GLN. Both are excellent resorts and I do not doubt that you will enjoy your experience immensely at GLN. any other questions, please just ask.

Anthony

Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about GLN

hello suz

we stayed last march for a week and had a blast

yes the property is older and depending on the weather you may see a shortage of towels. We noticed if it rained then they were were gone !! lol...

GLN is very laid back the food was very good i highly reccomend the reggae cafe which is tucked away in the back

You will have a blast esepcially if you are on the c/o side... much friendlier and just a cool vibe

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about GLN

Thanks Anthony. I have never yet had a bad experience in Jamaica (this will be my 5th trip) and my Mom will be visiting for the first time....as will my brother and soon-to-be SIL. I want them to have as great an experience as I always have had so you've calmed my nerves.

I do have another question...is it true that the M/Y Zein is no longer at the resort? I remember that GLN used to take it out for sunset cruises when I stayed at CN. If it is gone is there any type of cruise offered?

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about GLN

Thanks for the insight Scotty...although I'm really not sure I want to stay at the C/O side with my mom (eek!)....that would probably feel a bit weird. If it was me and my hubby I'm sure it would be fantastic!

Moab Utah
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about GLN

The solution to the towel problem.....

There are always towels (beach and bath) in your room when you check-in. Go ahead and use these beach towels but get more and replace them immediately. If you go to bed with two fresh beach towels you will always have them in the morning.

You don't have to horde them or anything but just be sure to stock up a couple of extra towels in reserve when they are available.

As far as general complaints are concerned...

To each his own. There is no accounting for personal tastes. I can't say that every spoonful of GLN food is delicious but I still find the food overall to be great. It is an all-inclusive..... don't eat what you don't like and get as much as you want of the things you prefer. If you don't gain weight at an AI you have missed the point in my opinion.

If you find yourself getting too picky or grouchy just go to lunch and drink 2 or 3 Pina Coladas (each with an extra shot of Appleton Rum) By the time lunch is over you will be ready to relax on the beach and whatever complaint you had will be long forgotten.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about GLN

The Zein is gone and has been for several years now:(

There is no replacement. They do have a glass bottom boat tour twice a day(?) but it's certainly not the same as a sunset cruise on the Zein.

Make your dinner reservations as soon as you get there for the alacarte restaurants.

Enjoy! We love it.

You might also want to schedule a sunset massage (extra$) at the point gazebo and just listen to the waves. VERY relaxing.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about GLN

MKA68,

Which restaurant did you enjoy the most? We've already made reservations for the French...which would come 2nd in your opinion?

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about GLN

Hello Suz,

You are welcome. As MKA says, no more Zein. Enjoy your trip! And don't forget the lamb chops!!!!

Anthony

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about GLN

The only other place that really requires reservations (depending on occupancy) is Munasan, the Japanese restaurant with the teppanyaki tables or sushi tables (you have to specify when making your reservation).

Cafe Lido with continental cuisine sometimes asks for reservations although we just walked in later in the night when we went.

Pastafari (La Pasta?) is casual Italian and doesn't require reservations.

Reggae Cafe wasn't really open when we went since occupancy was really low.

You have to try the jerk chicken and lamb chops at the clothing optional beach grill for lunch. (just don;t look down when talking to others...lol)

The Timber House is open 24 hours and has "bar food" burgers, nachos, fries, wings and sandwiches and some other items. This is where all room service originates as well.

If you order room service, do it 30-45 minutes before you are hungry since it can sometimes take a little while.

Monday is the Beach Party Buffet outside (weather permitting) with lots of Jamaican favorites and local entertainment.

Friday is the Manager's Grand Gala Buffet and is a little more dressy than other nights at the buffet. (They request island formal, but you will see everything from guys in shorts to women in gowns or little black dresses.)

Enjoy!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about GLN

Thanks all! We've made reservations for the French, and my brother is making reservations for the Japanese. We're definitely going to have the lamb chops (I'm part Turkish so lamb is on my "required food" list) and I'm introducing Mom to Patties (love those things!).

You all have been a great help! Respect!