We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

Saint Paul...
14 posts
Save Topic
Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

Just wondering if anyone could give me an update on the Renovations and what the hotel looks like now. I understand the completion date is Dec 12, 2008 and was hoping to get some updated photo's if anyone has been by the hotel lately?

texas
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

Just got back yesterday they were paving the out side entrance road. verything was already lit up looks sparkling new!! no photos but evrything looked finished

Saint Paul...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

That's great to here... Thanks for the update!!!

texas
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

I was going to tell you that when I got there thurs alot was still boarded up and las nite when I left the boards were off the windows and was all lit up

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

I would also like to know of any updates.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

we are booked for Dec 13th thru the 20th in an Ocean Front and can't wait! they had a great "re-opening sale" going on last week so got a great rate on riu's website. first time to jamaice with exception of cruise stop to ochos rios several years back. will do a trip report within a week or so of our return...

Ya Mon ;)

New York
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

yes, please write when you get back. We're headed there 12/24th and can't wait. I'm sure they will still have to "iron out" some opening problems but hopefully it will be worth it!

have fun

sue

Netherlands
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

Has anyone actually any idea of what they have done/doing to the resort since August?

I ask cause weve stayed there this year and last, this year in a renovated room. Just wondering if theyve actually changed anything in the actual layout of the place??

D

1700-10

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

I highly doubt they changed the layout. That would be a ridiculous and unnecessary expense.

This was a cosmetic upgrade. They may have added a restaurant or something, but, in general, it is a cosmetic remodel.

Saint Paul...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

From what I have read, it sounds like it's just been upgrades.. This was from hotel-online.com

The major changes that the resort is undergoing to meet the Riu Palace standards include:

• All of the rooms will be completely refurbished - new linens, new flooring, new hardware, new furnishings

• Rooms are now Junior Suites

• Rooms will feature plasma flat screen TV, laptop size safe, peep-hole, hydro-massage tub, shower and a king size bed or canopy bed

• Addition of 24-hour room service

• Addition of two new a la carte restaurants: "Krystal", featuring fusion cuisine in a contemporary dining room and "Little Italy" offering Italian favorites

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay Renovations Update?

How do you make a hotel's existing concrete shell of standard rooms into junior suites?

Are they knocking down walls and combining rooms (therefore reducing the number of available rooms)?

Or are they simply calling them something different?

Adding a small sofa in the corner of a standard room does not make it a junior suite.