We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
I don't know...Help! Lol

Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for any info you may give. My Wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Jamaica for our honeymoon in January for 1 week. I'm kind of stressing over where to go (Negril, Mo Bay, or Ocho Rios) and I was hoping I could get some input. This will be the first vacation for both of us.

I think what we are looking for is:

- AI

- Clean, modern place...maybe new. My wife doesn't like the places that use floral or tropical fish bed spreads, and the like.

- Nice beach

- Nice pool

- Quite would be nice, but we also don't want to be bored...we need some sort of entertainment.

- Over 18 is a plus but doesn't matter

- I would like to go on a couple good excursions

- We aren't interested too much in the night life. My wife doesn't drink much.

- I would like to do some snorkling

That's the basics I guess. We first looked at Montego Bay but I heard the beaches aren't as good as the other locations...then I liked Negril, but the resorts almost seem like they are TOO honeymooney (this is our first vacation trip so we don't want it to be ALL about romance)...and from what I've read Ocho Rios is very touristy and it's really busy.

I don't know what to do, Arg! Lol

Midwest US
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Check out Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away Both seem to fit into your needs. Sunset at the Palms is Very nice but might be a little to quiet for you. Couples Negril is on The quieter Bloody Bay (Great Beach) Swept Away may offer a little more things to do during the day along the Beach. Congrats and have fun!

livinginjamaica
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

You definetly want to stay in Negril. Best beaches in Jamaica. There are some really cool resorts. Check trip advisor advice on Negril hotels.

From Negril there are a lot of day excursions. One of the best is at the Great River Adventure center:

zipline/canopy, river tubing or kayaking.

Check trip advisor things to do in Montego Bay.

You are going to love Jamaica.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Have a look at www.negrilonestop.com and www.negrilinfo.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

hmmm, honeymoon, NEXT MONTH, you better get MOVIN' man!!!

I'd go with Couples Swept Away. Nice to be right on the main stretch of beach with night life readily available, if you want it.

Congrats ;)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril. CN has a great quite beach, large pool with a social swim up bar. Great food and excellent staff. Fun mixture of people that many times get aquaitnted on the Couples message board prior to vacationing!! I suggest you go to Couples website and check it out. Tons of info on the resorts they offer. Couples Negril is as social or quite as you choose. I loved it. Very fun entertainment staff but to be honest many people just do not participate. They are not pushy at all about it but if you do join in it will be so worth your time. Getting to know the staff was the highlight of my trip. Swept Away gets high marks just as well. Have fun researching and enjoy your honeymoon!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Agreed - Couples Swept Away is a good choice. Sandals is another to consider, which is a bit more off by itself near the far end of the beach. Couples Negril get good reviews, though it's on Bloody Bay beach, which isn't walkable to the interesting and colorful main Long Bay beach.

To your other questions:

Negril wins hands down IMHO over other Jamaica destinations. Your comments on MoBay and Ocho Rios are correct.

Any AI will have snorkeling daily... and you can hire private snorkel tour boat right from the beach if you want.

Mayfield Falls gets great reviews and isn't too much of a haul from Negril. Personally, I'd just stay put around Negril if it's your first trip. There will be plenty to keep you occupied right at the resort and nearby beach/cliffs. Doing a nice dinner on the cliffs and checking out the sunset might be fun (and quick & easy).

Congrats and enjoy!

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Thanks for all the help guys!!! I really appreciate it.

At first I thought those places like Couples Swept Away were more for romance and stuff with not much to do for excitement. But after doing some searching I realized there is tonnes of stuff to do (beach volleyball, squash, basketball, and tennis...which is a big plus because we like to play). So now I am leaning toward CSA!

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Couples Swept Away (CSA) is on my wish list. I've only day tripped to Negril and I can't wait to go and stay there.

Congratulations x

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

Yeah we are waiting for our passports to come in so that we can book. They are suppose to get here at the end of the month at the LATEST. I had a look and there are plenty of rooms available yet, but I hope they don't get filled up. I'm hoping with the economy the way it is we'll be able to get in.

Which rooms are the best (obviously the most expensive) and which rooms do we want to avoid?

As I mentioned there seems to be plenty of rooms left, but because we are booking so late are we going to get the dirty old ones (mold)? Or is it more of luck regarding if you get a clean room or a dirty one? I noticed some of the pictures showed there was one room that had mold and looked awful.

Are the tennis courts usually pretty busy? It will really be a plus if we can get on whenever we wanted. Do you have to bring your own rackets or will they have rentals?

NYC
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I don't know...Help! Lol

The Grand Lido Negril is probably the nicest of all the All Incl - couples only resorts in Negril and you want Negril. It is not cheap but I have stayed at both Couples Swept Away and the Grand Lido Negril and the Grand Lido blows it away.