We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ricks

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ricks

In reading the reviews, I see Ricks is getting the kind of publicity they deserve.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147313-d800…

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ricks

Short of looking at it from the sea, I never had any interest in going, let alone "eating" there.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ricks

Ricks is nothing special to me but I think a lot of us regular visitors to Negril are a little hard on the place. I personally don't think it is that bad of a spot for first time visitors to see part of the west end. No doubt it is overpriced, the service is average, etc...but it pretty much is the west end's equivalent of Margarittaville. I personally prefer Joseph's Cave but I've taken groups to Ricks before, I'll admit it.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ricks

Sad but true. It pretty well sums it up. As has been said countless times it really has become just a tourist trap in every sense.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ricks

Never ate at Ricks... never had the desire to. For me, Ricks is the divers - that's it. We usually go once just to watch. I buy a beer or two and that's it.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ricks

Stopped right after it re-opened just to see what it looked like. Red Stripe was $300J, about $5US at the time, when most places were still selling them for $100J. In the gift shop, they had a long sleeve t-shirt with a small "Rick's Cafe, Negril emboidered on it. $74.99US. Laughed out loud and left.

The original Rick's had some character (and some characters). The new place is just a slaughterhouse for newbies.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ricks

"I personally don't think it is that bad of a spot for first time visitors to see part of the west end."

I wholeheartedly agree...Jamerican!

It's great when some of the buses stop at the shops along the West End road. It's a wonderful promotion for the area...even if I do end up in that darn 4-7pm traffic jam everyday...lol!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ricks

Rick's is what it is...it's great for negril newbies and those too frightened to leave their AI without an official tour group...not for me though...I think I stayed five minutes on our last trip before I had to get out of there. It is fun to chill at CAFS and watch all the booze crusies pull up, though it's totally not the vibe I'm looking for in the west end...

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ricks

I had not been to Rick's since 1990-1992 since this trip. 2 beers were $7us $10us with tip. I loved the cliff divers but feared for them because of that DEAD tree. I remember the old Rick's was kinda tourist trap too. You had to buy tokens to buy drinks etc. So if you didn't use all of your tokens... they lucked out.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ricks

Back about 25 years ago Rick's was just a place to hang, enjoy the vibe, and watch the sunset. It was THE place to go for the sunset. The only cliff divers were the bar's patrons and that wasn't the focal point of being there. It was an afterthought that was eventually capitalized on. The diving platform was nothing like it is today. In fact 30 years ago there was none. People would just climb over the wall beside the bar and jump in. There was nobody asking for tips to watch them dive or tips for insurance as to your safety should you choose to jump.

I agree that it's a good place for newbies to Negril to see a part of the west end. Better that than nothing. It's sad that so many don't know what they missed though.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ricks

Yeah Blues Pirate, sadly I never experienced that because I'm not old enough. Pickled Parrot was the closest thing I got to experience to that. I later found Joseph's Cave with Ms. May completely by accident and I enjoy sitting at her bar for a few drinks even though it is across the street. That definitely is the non touristy option in my opinion. No frills and if you decide to jump you're on your own because there is no life guard, no large crowds, and Ms. Mae sure as hell isn't going to jump in after ya:)