We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
706 posts
426 reviews
Save Topic
Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

Are either of these good places for a tour with kids (4 and 9 or just the 9-year-old)?

Georgia
Level Contributor
173 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

I personally prefer Mayfield, but I think a 4 year old is too young. It involves literally taking a guided trip up a pretty rock river with a number of pools that have different depths and rushing water. I would recomend you go to YS Falls with the little one.

Mentioned in this post
YS Falls
YS Falls
1,757 Reviews
Jamaica
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

Have not been to YS fall, but I would not recommend Mayfield for the 4 year old. Maybe the 9 year old. There were a few spots that were tricky even for us adults. Loved the place though and would highly recommend it.

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
888 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

have been to both with kids less than 4. Mayfield is nicer and easier to get to. If you tip the guides they will carry your 4 yr. old the whole way or as much as you need.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
706 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

Thanks for the ideas. If we just had the 9-y/o, would Mayfield probably be the best? Can anybody explain the differences in these two spots? From what I am understanding, at YS they can walk outside the water if they want to and Mayfield is directly in the water. What else makes them different?

We went to Dunns River Falls in 2007 (just me and the hubby) and we loved it. I would have taken my 9-y/o to that easily, but we are going to be staying in the Negril area and thought they might like to see a waterfall while here. We are probably staying at Beaches Sandy Bay. Does anyone know how far from here both of these are?

Again, thanks for any tips or ideas.

Shawn Marie

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Georgia
Level Contributor
173 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

The biggest difference is the YS Falls is truly a waterfall as you would think of a waterfall that tourists would make a special trip to go to.

There is not a large waterfall at Mayfield. The adventure there is more navigating your way through the River. The guide helps you navigate the footing, which can be tricky. You definately need water shoes there.

The rocks form natural pools all along the way, so you climb out of one pool into the next. In some spots the water swirls around like a natural jacuzzi. There is a small falls at the end.

They will guide you into good spots for pictures and take pics with your cameras. They let you know good places to dive in and our guide even did some high diving for us from the trees. After you navigate the River, you take a short hike back and the guide shows you some plant life and gives you some history of the fauna and so on. It may be hard to picture, but it is a very enjoyable, memorable, and unique experience. It just is not for a 4 year old.

With all due respect to the other poster, I don't think you can tip a guide enough to carry your 4 year old through the entire walk. I also think you would miss out on some things, as there is no way they can safely carry your child, help you through the water, guide your steps, and do all the things that our guide did with us.

Mentioned in this post
YS Falls
YS Falls
1,757 Reviews
Jamaica
Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
706 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

sdicksteina;

That helps a lot! We are going to be staying at an all inclusive, but I really wanted the boys to be able to go out and see some of JA too, beyond the resort walls. I guess I will just have to find something else for the 4-y/o or maybe just let him enjoy the AI resort this year and concentrate more on the island exploring part for him when he gets a bit older. Mayfield sounds great. Again, thanks for all the help.

Shawn Marie

georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

We took our 9 year old and 6 year old to YS Falls in November 2008. It was fine for them. There is a shallow rock bottom pool at the bottom they can play in with inner tubes. The climb was not bad at all. The water was a little rough in places for them, but not so bad they could not participate. Make sure they have on sturdy, slip-proof shoes. This will make it easier for them to navigate the rocks. There is also a rope swing at the top that they can swing on. Any of the falls workers will be glad to push them on it. Our nine year old son loved this, and I felt it was very safe. Our six year old daughter would have no part of it. The ride in the jitney up to the falls location gave a wonderful opportunity to see some real Jamaica. Our children loved seeing Jamaican cows. For some reason they thought they would be different. Go figure. The trip from Negril to YS was another great opportunity to see Jamaica. We did the YS Falls and Black River Safari with lunch trip. This was a great way to spend a day outside the resort.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
YS Falls
YS Falls
1,757 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Black River
Black River
361 Reviews
Jamaica
utah
Level Contributor
291 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

What about the nature preserve? This would be great for a four year old (says a mother of a four year old myself) and then you could drive yourselves and visit Brighton Beach as well, or maybe some place along the South Coast.

When we were in Negril a few years ago we went to the Nature preserve and our kids would have loved it, a nice stroll along trees then a hike up to a very high tree house like look out, followed by an opportunity to see an alligator. Speaking of, maybe a trip on a raft down the Black River would be better for young ones?

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Black River
Black River
361 Reviews
Jamaica
utah
Level Contributor
291 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

. . . errr, rather crocodiles you'll view (if it matters).

Hamilton
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, or neither for a 4 and/or 9 y/o

I just returned from stayoing in JA for 14 days whith my family and freinds for our Wedding on the 26th of Feb.

My hubby and I did the Black River and YS falls tour and thought it was great I think both the kids would get a kick out of seeing the crocs and the Falls were beautiful. We say lots of young kids at the YS falls and thr rock bottom pool they had would prolly be perfect for the younger one too. the climb to the top of the falls wasnt really that bad either.

hope this helps a bit!!

Mentioned in this post
Black River
Black River
361 Reviews
Jamaica