We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

My wife and I took our first trip to JA last April and stayed at the RTB. We loved it. We didn't feel the need to leave the resort often, we stayed on the beach ALL day, but did go out to dinner a few nights (rock house, margaritaville, ricks) and ventured out to local jerk shacks a for a few lunches.

After reading many posts from Negril veterans it becomes clear that you don't endorse the big RIU resorts because of their environmental of local economy issues. We are looking to book a trip to return this April and I would like advice as to what AI resorts Negril veterans recommend. RIU Negril is most attractive to us finacially, but we are willing to spend more money, if we know it is going to a greater cause. Thank you for your time and advice.

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

The resort must be on the beach, not the cliffs. The beach is our number 1 prerequisite, that's why we go.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

The following thread will help. It's a little old but still relevent.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k11719…

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

I'd look into Sunset at the Palms...but BP's link provides a ton of other options.

With that said, go where you want; go where you are happy...and this is coming from one of the biggest "haters" of places like the Rius out there.

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

SATP is definately attractive, but we prefer to be closer to the beach. We seem to be running back and forth to our room alot.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

...but be sure wherever you decide to stay that you get off the resort to check out everything Negril has to offer. A great reference is www.negrilinfo.com

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

We are leaning towards CSA. Any advie or comments?

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

Thank you Blues Pirate and Easton714. Here's a question. The current difference between CSA and RIU Negril is approx $1300 for our trip. What's better, to stay at CSA and be tight on spending money off resort, or stay at RIU and spend the $1300 difference off resort?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

That is a tougher question. It is pretty much up to you.

I would choose CSA but that is because I would not stay at the Riu at all...personal choice.

Also...don't let SATP's layout bother you if you haven't been there. Despite being across the street your rooms are not necessarily going to be farther away from the beach than they would be at the Riu. It depends on where your rooms would be at each place, but it is not a certainly. You can be at the beach from the pool at SATP in 30 seconds...if you wanted to.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

Well, maybe not 30 seconds, but it's a short pleasant walk to and from the beach.

I'd highly recommend SATP for a quiet, relaxing vacation. It has much more of a Jamaican feel. Also less expensive that either Couples.

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican economy/environment friendly AI resort

Is SATP locally owned?