We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

I received an email from Sienna of TOTTT last night which she had to send from an internet cafe. They are having computer modem problems and have not been able to use email on a regular basis for the last week until Cable & Wireless take care of fixing it. On-line communication with clients is almost non-existant as a result. Until this is resolved please call them directly. Telephone:(876)372-2543

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

They had similar problems in January, and as a result I hired another service before they had a chance to get back to me (i gave them like three weeks time).

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

The loss of business is the problem they are having now. It is not their fault that they have computer issues. If people like yourself take the initiative to call when they do not hear back rather than trust the internet to such a great extent everyone would be much better off. People need to be reminded that Jamaica is still catching up to the rest of the world in modern technology. Internet there is not as reliable as what you are accustomed to. It is quite common for businesses to take a considerable amount of time in responding to email inquiries even when things are working properly. If you have not heard back after an extended period of time just pick up the phone. It's easy if you remember how to use it.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

Thanks BP. Got an email from Sienna last night also. This situation is really hurting their chances at much needed business. C

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

I hear you Blues Pirate!

However, more and more people, myself included have shed ourselves of our LAN line phones and just use wireless. On some plans, like mine, phoning Jamaica is a bit expensive. In my case $3.50 per minute plus tax. A call to Jamaica to discuss options, availability and to negotiate a rate can take a few minutes and can easily end up costing me $40 - $60. That's a lot of money, especially during these tough times.

Not faulting TOTT in any way, they are not to blame I know. Just saying that for some of us the phone is really not an option.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

Halfwaytree,

I appreciate what you are saying. I have a decent phone plan but supplement it and buy a $5 phone card from a convenience store that allows me to call anywhere in the world for up to 100 real time minutes. Recently I called Greece using it and it hardly made a dent in the usage. Easy to find and well worth it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

hope they get their situation sorted out quickly, apparently this isn't the first time this has been an issue... they should go with flow or something a bit more reliable or at least responsive... cable and wireless is notorious for poor customer service when there are issues...

i'm with HWT, establishments that make it easy for me to communicate with them over my channel of choice are the ones that get my business personally... i've dealt with a lawyer for the past 3 months that i've communicated with exclusively by email... works perfectly for me...

Chelle

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

My theory was, if it took them three weeks to return an email, then how was I to trust a company to pick me up from the airport where a 15-minute wait would drive me crazy?

I simply googled "Montego Bay to Negril transfer" and made a reservation with the first one on the list -- for substantially less than TOTT was planning on charging me ... no offense to anyone, but business is business. I am not going to call an 876 number when the Net is free.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

I agree this is not the first time this company has had issues like this.....

I know of 2 people I have recommended since January to them after reading good things about them on here...both people got no reply....

I feel I can't recommend them again...because as Chell stated business is business and I like to give honest and truthful recommendations...

It's a few hundred Jamaican $$$ for 20 -30 minutes in any local internet cafe...free in one of the Libraries(so i'm told)...

They really need to step up to keep this established business going....

Such a shame....

xxx

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

Sorry..as Gerry stated......business is business....

:-)

xxx

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Talk of the Town Tours are having computer issues

Running a business in Jamaica is complicated for sure. For a business owner it may come down to paying a few more dollars for better internet service or paying the cost of gas (driving to the internet cafe) and paying for time ....OR.... putting money aside to pay for insurance or licensing or other fees to stay in business. Business this year has been slower and it has been tough for many there. What seems to us to be a small amount of extra money is not for those attempting to eek out an honest living in Jamaica.

I always take the time to make a phone call if an email does not get a reply. For those who have not yet used the services of TOTTT, please make the call. It is well worth it for top notch service from thoughtful, helpful, honest people.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean