We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican Souvenirs

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaican Souvenirs

When I travel I like to bring home authentic handmade souvenirs. I know I have to bring home some Blue Mt. Coffee but what are some other things unique to Jamaica or the Negril area and where can I find them?

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

Well there are many different types of rums you might check out. Appleton and Myers are both available in the US but many others are not.

The west end has several shops selling wood carvings and paintings.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

it is my understanding that you cannot find rum cream in North America. If I am wrong PLEASE tell me where!!

handmade baskets are great! We always bring back whole nutmeg and allspice (if you buy the souveneir packages or from the grocery store you can bring them home)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

mrs weaver,

I suggest that you look for Mason the wood carver. His shop is located mid-beach at the Waves Events Yard. If you refer to the Negril Map in www.negrilinfo.com you will see it between the 2km and 3km markers. His work is the most unique and well crafted I've found in Negril.

New York
Level Contributor
452 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

I have looked in several liquer stores and I can't find Rum Creme around here. Only had a sip but it was good!

merrimac
Level Contributor
762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

We brought some bamboo mugs home last year and due to the difference in temperature ( we are in the New Enland area)they split in on all sides 20.00$ per mug and we could not use them .You could hear them splitting/cracking it was loud so just to let you know.

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
885 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

Its not cheap but you can get Sangsters rum cream at the LCBO in ont. THere are many very talented wood carvers all around Jamaica and most have some type of carving they specialize in.

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
885 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

tryed the bamboo mugs a few years ago they hatched bugs in the spring when it warmed up.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

Blues pirate is spot on with Mason - but that is if you are serious about getting a genuine local work of art produced by an artist who has put a lot of hours into the piece - search on him here. His pieces are unique and start around $200 for the smaller abstract items - they are still excellent. You can spend upwards of $1000 for his bigger pieces (not sure how you get them home without special shipping!) but would be key feature for a home and I believe are still unique and good value.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

I like scotch bonnet hot sauce (the little bottles similar to Tabasco sauce), and jerk seasonings - which can be gotten in any grocery store. They're a nice reminder and are great for BBQs to come. Sarongs are also popular, though Liz now has about 20 of them. :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
636 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican Souvenirs

I have started a list of the things we want to bring back from all of the info that I have received from here and negril.com.

Coovah Clothes ~ Jamaicans take on Hollister for my teenagers

Rum Cream ~ Banana and Coconut

Walkerswood Jerk Sauce ~ Very hard to find here

Specialty Jerk Sauce from different Jerk Stands

Sarongs ~ With Jamaican Colors

Baskets

Rum Cakes ~ Chocolate & Banana

Dr. Bonners Peppermint Soap

Carvings

"Freddie's" Name Necklaces ~ For my younger girls

Castle Cocobutter Soap

God only knows what we will come back with but we will also be checking out the Hi-Lo to pick up somethings that we have never seen before!!