We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach reads

Indiana
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach reads

Anyone read anything great recently? What is everyone else taking to read? (Those of you that are taking reading material, that is.)

15 days!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach reads

I enjoy reading Ian Fleming's original James Bond bookes in Jamaica. They were written there.

Also, Carl Hiassen books, even though about Florida, are also excellent.

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach reads

These are some of my recent favorites:

1. Walk Good: Travels to Negril by Roland Thomas Reimer

2. Banana Shout: A Novel of Negril Jamaica

by Mark Conklin

3. The Eve Dallas series by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts)

4. The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach reads

I liked Banana Shout, but Walk Good wasn't that great IMHO. Both pale compared to A Day at the Beach, or my fav: An Embarrassment of Mangoes.

The former is the story of a couple starting a restaurant in Anguilla. The latter is a sailing story of a couple who send a year sailing from Canada to the southern Caribbean. Both are engaging easy reads, with lots of fun little details about the Caribbean cultures and folks. Both also have some interesting food info and recipes, so if you're a food fan, they're superb.

An interesting book about Jamaica is Coming Home to Teach. This is much darker - about a fellow returning to Jamaica to teach and finding that the bureaucracy is tough to deal with.

One of the most popular and oft recommended is Don't Stop the Carnival - a really fun light read by Herman Wouk. It's a story about a NYC businessman who buys a hotel in the Caribbean. Big thumbs up for that one too.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach reads

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson...great read plus I hear they've made it into a movie coming out in 2010 starring Johnny Depp...if it's anything close to as cool an interpretation as Fear & Loathing, it'll be awesome!

hove, england
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach reads

the great gatsby by scott fitzgerald - probably the best book by an american writer.

breath by tim winton - brilliant

anything by elmore leonard or george pelcanos.

i've also read most of carl hiason's books but find that they're all very similar - they all seem to follow the same formula so once you've read one...

Lawrence
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach reads

Well, none of their books are about the beach, but I cannot recommend the authors, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child enough. They are both great authors, and have collaborated on several books. Their "Pendergast" books are fun and fast reads. I've read almost all of their stuff...but gonna go look for "The Codex" today to take with me next week.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach reads

Since it IS vacation, I like to keep it pretty mindless...I stock up on tabloids :)

Plus, the housekeepers love 'em...

St. Louis, Mo.
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach reads

I like James Patterson's Alex Cross or Women's Murder Club paperbacks because they are good, quick reads. I hardly ever found time to read on the beach, but would take magazines as well. I always leave all of my reading material with the house keepers or other hotel staff. Some of the hotels have bok exchanges, which can be handy if you actually do read through all that you carry with you.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach reads

My favorite beach reading is beer labels - dozens of 'em. LOL - and I apologize in advance.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach reads

It's a guilty pleasure, but I like to ready Jackie Collins novels when I vacation -- she usually authors two per year, one around X mas and one around summer, and coincides with my vacation schedule.

I also like true crime novels.