We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
176 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

We are leaving for Rockhouse next week:

Do we need to take our own towels and shampoo/conditioner/soap or is this all provided?

We are only staying in a standard room, will we be able to fit things in the mini-fridge if we buy somewhere else?

Also, how dressy is the restaurant and others on the island. Like can I get away with flip-flops at dinner? Does my husband have to wear a collared shirt/polo at dinner?

I've also read that we should bring some warmer items as it gets cold in the evening, is that correct? Any other suggestions...

We are taking our snorkel gear.

Thanks!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

I recommend you bring your own familiar brand of shampoo etc.

Mini-fridge will hold beverages and snacks.

Your husband should wear a polo shirt as appropriate attire at the Rockhouse restaurant. Shorts are the norm. Sports sandals are common as well. Other restaurants are more casual.

Evenings are quite warm but bringing a light coverup is always a good idea in case a cold front is around the area.

Other suggestons,

Try eating at other less expensive places like Sips & Bites next door, 3 Dives just up the road, Alice's Restaurant just before Rick's Cafe and the LTU just past Rick's.

Watch for Famous Vincent coming by the resort and arrange for him to take you on a glass bottom boat trip to the reef.

Catch a ride to take in one of the live reggae shows at one of the beach bars.

More information on everything can be found in www.negrilinfo.com

Have a great trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

Thanks BP.

This may sound petty, but do they have hair dryers?

I take it you mean they do provide shampoo and towels? Up to me if I want to bring personal kind.

As far as the restaurant at night, would you say "dressy casual" ?

I've read that some people say not to exchange US dollars at the airport. Do you suggest anywhere else?

Thanks.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

A t-shirt and shorts are also fine attire for dinner at the Rockhouse, as well as anywhere we've been in Negril. Flip flops are fine.

A light jacket is nice to have just in case, as well as an umbrella, though neither is generally needed.

The exchange rate is best at the Banmark cambio - about a 10 minute walk south from the Rockhouse. Generally ~5-8% better than the airport or the hotels, and 10-25% better than paying in $US at most local shops.

If you enjoy snorkeling, it's nice to bring your own gear. Enjoy!

NY
Level Contributor
557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

They don't provide hair dryers but do provide soap,shampoo and conditioner and towels.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
443 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

This may sound ridiculous, but when you rent the snorkel gear at Rockhouse, do they give you a new snorkel or are you renting a snorkel that was used by someone else? If so, what is the cost to buy your own? Thank you!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

The snorkel gear gets reused by multiple guests. They might wash them daily (maybe), but I like to have my own so I can jump in anytime. Prices vary a bunch, but you can get a decent snorkel for ~$10-12, and a mask for $20-35 online. You can get much cheaper ones at Wal-Mart too (maybe 1/2-2/3 those prices?), which are fine for occasional use. They won't be as well made and might not be as comfy, but they'll do fine in a pinch.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

I am going in July. I emailed the resort and they have hairdryers you can "borrow" - just ask at the front desk. But I decided to take a small travel dryer anyway. As for the snorkel gear - we like to snorkel - probably daily and just decided it would be more convenient, as well as not using a mouthpeice numerous people have been using...I bought a set for my BF on amazon.com complete with fins for 25.00 and it seems to be a pretty good one.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

BTW - the rooms do not have a coffeemaker and a pot of coffee is 8.00 u.s. so we are also taking a small travel coffeemaker.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

We are also taking a small hair dryer and coffee maker. I'm including an extension cord too - I've heard the outlets can be scarce!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer to Rockhouse Questions

thank you hsstraveler for tip on extension cord...had not heard that about the outlets!