We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

I could use help choosing a hotel in Jamaca. Thinking of Negril area. My husband and I, my Daughter and her boyfriend. We were booked to Riviera Maya for June 8th. So...Please can someone help with a few places. Is the Grand Lido Braco near Negril or Montego Bay? We are looking at it and also Riu Ochos Rios, and then there is the Riu Negril, but I don't know if it is the best choice for Negril. Thanks for any and all answers!!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Grand Lido Braco is between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, I believe near Falmouth or Trelawny. It depends on what type of vacation you want. If you tend to hang out on the beach the whole time I would suggest Negril. Riu Negril is on Bloody Bay, a smaller, quieter part of 7 mile beach, somewhat comparable to the Mayan Riviera in that regard. Ocho Rios is a lively little tourist town which is also a busy port for cruise ships. It is a great place for going on tours/adventures, also has some very nice beaches around, but they are more like coves, not such a big stretch to walk like Negril. Grand Lido Braco would be more comparable to Ocho than Negril.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
797 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Why are you cancelling now? June 8 is five weeks away and by that time Jamaica will have swine flu! Nothing against Jamaica-I love Negril-but this seems a little premature.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
797 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

sorry -didn't realize you are from Canada!This swine flu frenzy has me a little edgy.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

i have been Mayan Riviera a bunch of times and to RIU Negril Club a bunch of times. you will LOVE Negril, it's a can't miss.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Thanks so much for you help.I thought there were things do in Ochos. I have been there on cruises before. But, I read about Ricks Cafe, which sounds interesting, however that is in Negril and thought it would be nice to see what Negril was like. I'm trying to keep the price down because the airline has not waived penalties for my june 8th trip yet. I don't think I can wait that long or there will be no flights will be limited. So our resorts might be limited to Montego bay or Ochos Rios. We do love the beach in the riviera maya, but my daughter also wants something to do at night. We usually go into playa del carmen at night on our trips to mexico, so she was looking for a little night life at least some music at the resort. or an excursion with a little night life. I'm sure I will eventually find a good trade. Thanks again for your help!

Vero Beach, FL
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Its just the Flu! I would of kept my trip to Mexico since its still a Month away! The Media is making everyone Panic as usual!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

My husband isn't willing to be risky. I feel the same as you. Probably the flu has been here in the states for awhile too. I'm more worried one of us will catch it before we leave. He didn't want trip insurance either. lol So if I cancel and rebook I can include the insurance.It's a trade off because the airlines haven't waived penalties into June yet. I could keep waiting it out, but then the flights will be booked up to other places if Mexico is still under advisory. So...I just want to know where I am going so I can relax and look forward to the trip.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

And also....my daughters boyfriend is worried about traveling there as well. My daughter and I have been to the Riviera Maya many times so we are not as worried, but the two guys are basket cases. lol

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

Wigirl-7,

Just so you know, most trip insurance does NOT cover cancellation for the flu...even if it is listed as an epidemic or pandemic. Make sure to read the very fine print before wasting the money purchasing any insurance.

I am a travel agent and happen to agree with the other poster on here...why are you bothering to cancel from Mexico when you are not even scheduled to leave for over a month???? That is foolish, both to be loosing your money on the packages and paying the fees to rebook, and to know that the flu is spreading from Mexico to other locations. What will you do if it is in Jamaica when June 8th rolls around and Mexico has been cleared???

I truly would wait just a bit before panicing and rushing into a change.

IrieLady

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: swine flue change of plans Please someone a little help!

The penalties are from the airline fees of $150pp and $50pp for tour operator. And my daughter and I would probably wait it out. But my husband and her boyfriend are saying they won't go to Mexico... even tho I told them we will catch up with the flu in Jamaca. lol I used to be a tour agent years ago, and I still couldn't convience my husband why insurance is important. I usually don't by the tours insurance tho because it doesn't cover proper medical problems that can happen out of country. That is usually my biggest concern when traveling is the cost of having to hospitalize out of country or transfer them home. It can be a real mess if you don't have the extra travel insurance as your regular insurance back home won't be accepted up front. So I usually go with Travel-X or something simalar.