We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milk and cream

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dakotas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milk and cream

I was wondering about the taste of milk and cream. There was a thread last week about the beef flavor being off from what we are use to due to the leanness and diet of the cattle there.Just wondering about the flavor of the milk and cream?if anyone has a opinion.

Love cream in my blue mountain Jamaican coffee...:-)

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milk and cream

I always put rum cream in my coffee, but have never noticed the milk or cream tasting different at the resorts/hotels we've stayed at in Negril than what we're used to here in the Dakotas.

dakotas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Milk and cream

Thank you for your reply! We stayed AI last year and are coming back to a villa this june with a kitchen. So Ill be heading to the store to purchase these kind of things . Love P

Ashland, Virginia
Level Contributor
772 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milk and cream

I purchased milk,cheese and butter the last x i was there. The cheese and butter was from a south American country and was quite good. I thought the milk was fine other than it was whole milk.

dakotas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Milk and cream

Thanks Fargo!

By the way..pm me and tell me tha story behind your name..lol..im from fargo...Just wondering if you were! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milk and cream

as mentioned above, whole milk (called homo milk in Canada and i LOVE telling every milk-drinking Jamiacan i know that, i think i swore a few off milk hehehehhe), is more widely available... skim or lower fat versions can be found, but aren't as easy to come by... i've not noticed a difference taste wise and was able to pass it by on my children who, esp my son, love their milk...

Chelle

dakotas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Milk and cream

HHAAAAhAAAAA...love it !Thanks Chelle

I dont know that I can ever quite look at Homo milk quite the same now ...lol :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milk and cream

to be completely fair to the milk, it's homogenized, but commonly shortened as homo :)

Chelle

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milk and cream

Jamaicans are not that big on dairy products.

I remember in my first trips there you hardly ever saw milk served with coffee...sweet cream (sweetened condensed milk) was always served and it is what I drink with my coffee every morning.

You see a lot of "box" milk in the markets and that's what I buy when I need milk (which is not too often) - it is (yikes) radiated which is why it can sit on the shelf unrefrigerated until opened.

Whenever I've bought milk in the platic container from the fridge section it seems to go bad within a day or two.

Now butter is something I use in Jamaica but not at home - this comes from two things: First, I'm on vacation, I love butter and I "splurge". Second, I refuse to spend $20USD on a bottle of olive oil so butter is the saute medium of choice often enough (though this year I AM brining a large container of Olive Oil with me.) The butter I use is imported from New Zealand.

I don't eat much cheese there but always keep a brick of REAL cheddar or REAL Jack cheese in the fridge...both are imported, not sure where the Jack is from but the cheddar, again, from New Zealand.

The best dairy products I've ever had in my life has been in France.

dakotas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Milk and cream

Thank you too RastaGirl..

I will also bring olive oil! My bags get heavier by the minute...lol

I was at sandals last year had the best Edam cheese..but have not found it at home..im hoping i can find it in the market there somewhere.

I bet france does have the best Dairy products..Ive seen a lot of travel channel programs on the dairy's in france.

Grandson is only a year old and they may be coming during our stay and he is a calf....lol

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milk and cream

The real butter and the real cheese that is available in Jamaica is excellent. I always buy blocks of the white cheddar and crackers for a snack. Plus, I really love me some Johnny cakes (or toast, I guess) with real butter and guava jelly in the morning.

Mmmm....

The butter just has more taste than the stuff here at home--but I think that is a theme in Jamaica. A lot of things in Jamaica taste better than they do at home.

(is the difference real or perceived....?)

;)