We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Negril - here are my faves

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Negril - here are my faves

In case it takes me awhile to do individual review of my faves - wanted to make a quick post in this forum.

We stayed at white sands and it was perfect. I did manage to do the review on WS :)

Must Eats:

Hungry Lion on the cliffs. Excellent food, excellent service, excellent view, excellent ambiance, and excellent art. (got 3 small "paintings" there for $90 total. Someone named Richard Arthurs- love them!) We went there for a bday dinner and we couldn't have asked for more.

Ivan's at Catcha - Ditto all of the above, minus the art, add cute little kitty that loved sharing my lobster :). And their bar is AMAZING!! hope to post pictures soon. We went back the next night just for drinks. Thinking of splitting next trip up between beach (white sands), and cliffs (Ivan's.)

Rockhouse - was excellent, but Ivan's and Hungry Lion still tied for 1st! Fabulous view.

Niah's patties - MUST MUST MUST MUST do. Only open for lunch (i think?), put in your order 30 min. before you want to eat. he is next door to white sands in the Wavz arts and crafts center, all the way to the back on the left. he was so hard to find that we didn't find him till our last day. if we had found him on day 1 like we wanted to, we would have eaten lunch there every day. $3.00 (i think? maybe less) for a giant patty. And it was friekin delicious. I want to go back to Negril asap just for one of his patties. No lie.

on our snorkel trip, we ate lunch at a beautiful place called Half Moon Beach. They had lunch ready for us - buffet style. some of the best jerk i've ever had. And pasta salad - and I don't even like pasta salad!

If you get a driver, Half Moon Beach is about 20 min from White Sands, towards MoBay. Worth the trip. Stunning beach (think exotic deserted island beautiful), and delicious food.

We had such a fabulous food experience - I am carefully planning my meal adventures for the next trip - picking a place to stay is 2nd behind the food! ;)

We used Ian for our taxi rides, he was great. He even came back to check on my friend and I one night at the restaurant (Ivan's) he dropped us off at - because we were out later than usual! So we made him have a Red Stripe or 3 with us :)

876-439-3949 - tell him Liz and Katie sent ya!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

Great to hear! The only thing I'd take issue with is the 'great view' from the Hugry Lion. We love the place, but the view doesn't compare to any of the places on the sea side of the road. Would also mention that it's one of the most expensive place on the cliffs - akin to Ivan's, which get the edge IMHO.

We also love Richard Arthurs' paintings. Last we heard, he was in the US. Perhaps he's back? Hope so!! :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

No the view certainly doesn't compare to most places on the cliffs, but our table had a direct view of the ocean at sunset, with a bunch of boats passing by. Plus since we were on the 2nd story, we were dining "in the trees" which we loved! I don't remember the food being that expensive, my shrimp pasta was $20 I think? Certainly not a "cheap" place - but I don't recall it being overpriced.

His art is fabulous and I wish I had gotten more!

will try to post a pic of the ones I got :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

OH and Negril Treehouse has a breakfast buffet for $13 (including juice) that has lots of yummy items on it, including an omelette and waffle station. Im a sucker for omelettes (i had 2) so i thought this was a great value.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

Did you get a chance to have the banana pancakes at Country Country, near Treehouse?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

noooooo! i don't think i knew anything about country country (even though their restaurant looked ADORABLE!) so i didn't make it a point to try it. next time! which of course i am already planning the next time!!!!!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

>>add cute little kitty that loved sharing my lobster :)

Guess we could ad Ivans to the list of places that are selling lobsters during the mating season :-{

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

Oops!!! True Revelations, true to his name has busted Ivan's at Catcha Falling Star!!! I'll have to alert Susan and Harry... :)

Your trips sounds wonderful! Richard Arthur is a great painter and a really, really nice person...I've had the pleasure of meeting him a few times over the years.

Not sure if you caught any of my trip reports but Half Moon Beach is my favorite beach - I do not go to the "main" 7 mile beach much...maybe 3 or 4 times during my entire stay...but I'm at Half Moon just about every Sunday. I'm good friends with the owners and you are right - it is as close to pristine as it gets down Negril-way (actually, its in Green Island in Hannover Parish). The owner is dedicated to keeping the beach and its environment ecologically correct, something quite lost these days on Long Bay and Bloody Bay beaches.

Did you take Wild Thing to go snorkeling and to Half Moon? If so, did you enjoy the cat ride?

Was this your first trip? Will you be coming back?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

i specifically asked our waitress and she told me it was frozen (i could TOTALLY tell it was frozen, too) and that they had about 3 or 4 frozen and then that was it. i trust that was the truth because i could absolutely tell it was not fresh lobster.

but to me, even frozen lobster is better than fresh any other kind of food, ANY day! :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

hellooooo rastagirl! :)

this was my 4th trip to jamaica, but 1st to Negril, and 1st not doing all inclusive.

We LOVED it!

we did the wildthings cruise and that is how I discovered half moon beach. WOWEE that place is incredible. Melinda (i think that her name??) gave us a tour of a couple of the cabins because i plan to put them on my cheap weddings site and blog.

this trip was a budget honeymoon research trip and boy did i get some GREAT info!!

between white sands and half moon beach, it's a no brainer for anyone on a budget.

the food at half moon was also very, VERY good! i was impressed all the way around the block on that place. i am not sure i could do the cabins at certain times of the year given there is no AC - but would be a perfect choice anytime before june IMO :)

I cannot WAIT to go back.

Did you know it's cheaper for me to fly and stay in Negril for 6 days, than it would be for me to DRIVE to charleston, SC for just a WEEKEND?!

i might have to make Negril an every other month trip! :)

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Negril - here are my faves

The newly revised law states that no lobster can be sold during the mating season. The old rules were that frozen stock could be sold, but that is not the case now. To bad the fish & game or the JA equivalent are not enforcing it.

By the way Rasta girl, in case you haven't noticed, the lobster quality has taken a huge hit for the worst due to sever over harvesting & harvesting during the mating season. So as funny as some think it may be, it is a serious issue at this time.