We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

hello.

we are travelling in a few days and we remembered we bought a simm card last time we were down.

Here in Canada FIDO expires after 90 days; is this the same in Jamaica? Heard it makes more sense to just buy another simm card when we arrive with some minutes already on it. It's really just for local texting and arranging cabs.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

the SIM cards, both here and in jamaica stay valid for i think it's 6 months... it's the credit on it that will expire after 30, 60 or 90 days (i beleive it depends on the quantity of the last credit load as to how long the credit takes to expire.. that's true in Canada and I *think* in Jamaica too... after a certain amount of time it does go inactive and you are unable to place calls...

if you're somewhere around 6 months and you aren't sure, when you get to the island, test and see it'll either say invalid SIM or give you a message that your call cannot be completed (or something to that effect, it basically says you need to top up)... if you get the message that says the later, you should be able to reactivate your calling ability by adding credit (can still receive calls).. the former message means the SIM has expired...

not sure when you went down last, if it's more than 6 months ago and you can find the paperwork (envelope) that came with the card, it's possible to reactivate the same number although you may have to pay the price of a new SIM to do so...

hopefully that makes sense

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ashland, Virginia
Level Contributor
772 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

I have a digicel phone and you can top it up online for a few $'s. You can check online w/ them.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

From Digicel Jamaica website - digiceljamaica.com/assets/…FLEX_T_C.pdf

State 3: Deactive – Your account moves into this state when thetime on your voucher has expired. This can occur even with money in the account. When you become deactive, you have a maximum of 60 days before you move into the expired state. In this state, you can send and receive SMS (text messages) until there is zero money in your account. You can also receive calls, however you cannot make paid calls. You can only call emergency numbers, toll free numbers and Customer Care as well as your fast recharge number to top-up your account. When next you top-up, you will be moved into the active state and any money remaining on your account, will be added to your new balance. The new balance is verified by an announcement from the network.

State 4: Expired – Your account becomes expired if you fail to recharge your account before the 60 days given in the Deactive state. At this point your account will be terminated and you will be removed from the Network. Your mobile number and any credit on your account will be lost.

11. Reactivation

If you wish to regain access to the Network, you will need to purchase a new Digiflex SIM Pack. You may not transfer any credit balance to a third party and Digicel has no obligation to pay or refund you for the cost of the handset or any credit remaining on your prepaid account.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

So knowing the above - what I do during the periods I am home to keep my DigiCel phone active so will work when I return is logon to the DigiCel site about once a month and top it off adding the minimum.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

apparently topping up online works, however i believe when i checked they wanted a credit card scan faxed to them and I personally wasn't really all that enthusiastic about doing that...

Chelle

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

If I'm not mistaken, the scan was dropped some time ago. When I last registered a card, I seem to remember they required a J$1 payment to verify the card then it was registered.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

I registered in US after returning from JA with phone. Nothing to scan/fax. I don't remember a fee to register my Credit Card.

They do collect a small fee and tax as part of each Top-up. For instance my last topup was the minimum - $4.75US which was converted to $360J (which got me $300J on my mobile phone).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

good to know...

and yup.. markup is the norm, even on the island... if it's not coming direct in person from a full digicel store there's going to be some sort of markup...

Chelle

9. Re: Digicel-B-Mobile Simm card expiration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 06:23