We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone question

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
phone question

We are leaving next week for sandals negril will they charge if we wanted to call taxis from the lobby, or do we need a calling card, and which do i buy. my cell minutes are so expensive!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: phone question

You don't need to call for taxis. Just walk out to the road. They will always be waiting.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone question

at sandals negril parking lot?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: phone question

I'm sure they will be there as well but the best rates are with the guys outside of the property on the roadside. Make sure it's a red plated taxi and negotiate the fare before you get in. You have nothing to worry about.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone question

Blues Pirate is absolutely correct...you have nothing to worry about. Sandals allows taxi drivers to be "on hand" for guests. If you don't see one out front, they will gladly call one in for you at the front desk. And as BP said, make sure to discuss their rate BEFORE you get in and take off. ; -)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: phone question

I was curious about the phone situation as well. If I bring an old cell phone that uses a sim card, can I buy a sim card a the airport and just plug it in? Or do only specific phones work with Jamaicas sim cards? Or should I just rent a phone when I get there, where and how much is it?

Thanks,

JW

Middle of the...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone question

Jay, depending on the type of old cell and what bands it supports and whether you have it unlocked...then yes, you can buy a sim card for about $10 and it will work. Don't remember what bands they use in Jamaica but you can do a search on GSM and probably find it. Cell phone rental varies by the provider. Some drivers will even give you one to use free if you do your airport transfers with them.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: phone question

I have an iphone, it isn't unlocked, but I bought some Skype credits, and Skype uses Wifi. As long as I can find a wifi spot in Negril I can call home for $.20 US per min. I checked on the GP website and it says it has Wifi in almost every room.

JW

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: phone question

Did iphone ever solve the problem with the phones updating at $$$$ rates when travelling internationally? I know a friend of ours had a $1200 suprise when he came home from vacation. But that was a year ago.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: phone question

I've heard similar stories. I'm pretty sure the problem was as simple as turning the "Data Roaming" function "Off". I'm not sure, but it sounds like an operator error in most cases.

JW

Middle of the...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phone question

Yes GP has wi-fi but I think they charge you for it. There are a lot of free places along the beach for wi-fi though.