We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

office of nature - worth the trip?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
office of nature - worth the trip?

hello all you wise TA boardies... I have yet another question! We will be in Negril this week for 8 blissful days. (Well, 6 FULL days, it's hard to count the day you arrive at the resort at 1/2ish and the day you leave for the airport at 10ish.)

And since it's my birthday trip, I of course want it to be extra special. You only turn 29 2 or 3 times! ;)

I had originally planned to do the snorkel cruise to Half Moon Beach again, but with my back probs right now I'm afraid to book anything like that just in case I'm having a "bad" day and can't move around much. (Esp. since I read a recent review about how the beds at GP are too soft. That is going to pose a MAJOR problem for me. Shicaca!) So most likely we will take a taxi out to Half Moon Beach one day for some sunning, lounging and eating, but maybe not anything too "strenuous" in the water. Kinda sucks when you can't turn your head :(

I have heard a lot about the office of nature, and wondered if it was worth a taxi ride down there. I'm not even really sure I know what kind of place it is? But it sounds really great.

We plan to do Pelican Bar and YS Falls on my actual bday (although I heard Mayfield was "better"? can Mayfield be done with Pelican or is it not on the way?)

Anyway, long story long, are there any other excursions/adventures y'all would recommend while we are down there? It's my better half's first trip there, my 5th (I could be a TA Jamaica expert, hahahahaha....) so I want to have some really neat things planned for us to do.

As always, everyone's advice and input is MUCH appreciated :)

OK I'm off to swallow some pills with an overproof rum chaser ;)

Thanks y'all!!!!

liz

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

This will give you a pretty good idea what kind of place it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c031amP_xjE

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

I was SOLD 27 seconds in seeing the lobster on the open fire! Mmmmmmm. Yay for LEGAL lobsters! :)

thank you!!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

Here's an update on the OON.

negril.com/discus/messages/103/242847.html…

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

Hmm interesting. Guess I'd rather go to Half Moon Beach again - not sure what to think of the current OON situation...

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

I haven't been since the "new" OON was built. I didn't think the OON was so great. Dirty area, LOTS of flies, weird vibe and so-so lobster. I went because of all the rave reviews. It was an interesting slice of life, but nothing more. And, there is precious little else to do on Bloody Bay...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

thanks depart, I think you helped me make up my mind :)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

im not impressed by OON, but as was said earlier, it gives those who are isolated on bloody bay something to do. if you're on long bay or the west end, there are better ways to spend your time.

one of the best trips i did was several years ago, we spent a half-day with tott touring the countryside and hills surrounding negril... meeting farmers and shopkeepers, visiting schools, eating at a local joint, learning of the flora and fauna of the area, and spending the day away from tourists and hustlers. great time.

pics of the negril hillls, pig farm, sugar cane, and school visits here:

http://rawlusjamaica.shutterfly.com

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

thanks rawlus - awesome pics. And thanks to your pic of the YS falls sign, I know now that they aren't open on Mondays, which is my Bday - which is when I planeed on going next week combined with Pelican bar trip! SHICACA!

nyc
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

liz if you were staying on bloody bay it may be worth the visit .. but i wouldnt cab it to bloody bay just for oon.... back in da day it was much cleaner and had a very negrilish vibe recently to me it has become an eye sore...and i dont knwo but seems ot have lost its innocence and charm...

enjoy

Atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: office of nature - worth the trip?

nope not on bloody bay. Staying at Grand Pineapple.

thanks for the info - Will be skipping it most likely.