We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

Arkansas
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

I will post a review of Rockhouse just as soon as I can find time - it was truly a beautiful property and we loved it, I reserved through Onestop on February 11th and requested Room 20 - I KNOW they do not "reserve" but I requested it through Bart and then through the resort. About a month ago I emailed them to see if it was still "flagged" for me - and their response was "A request has been placed on your reservation as we do not guarantee specific rooms, but do our best to satisfy guest’s requests. Where a guest is the first to ask for a specific room we flag that reservation and put a do not move sign for that particular time". Well, when I arrived they had given the room I requested 5 months ago and then emailed about 4 weeks ago - to someone else - no problem I say - I understand b/c you do not "reserve" - So next morning I see a room I prefer that is empty and was empty the first night too and I requested a change - same category of rooms - and was told "sorry that room was requested by someone else:" so we can't give it out. So I asked if that was the case, why did they give out the room I had requested, and no good answer. All they would say was "I don't know what happened..." I had brouht along copies of my emails bookings and confirmations. I did not ask to speak to the new manager, no point in complaining further - I chose to just forget about it and enjoy the trip, but to anyone else out there that has "requested" - don't count on it.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

A tip for a possible future stay there. What I do is request a range of 2-3 rooms that are in a row and where I would like to be approximately rather than count on one specific room and I always get one of them. It's just luck of the draw as to which one but I've never been disappointed. Regular repeat visitors have a little more pull and usually manage to get their room of choice. This may have been what happened to you. I'm happy to hear you liked the resort though. It's hard not to :-)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

One thing that should be mentioned as a comparison between the Rockhouse and their nearest competitor Tensing Pen. At Tensing Pen you book the specific unit and get it but it needs to coincide with their reservation system. You are told up front when booking what units are available for your time frame. A different way of doing it but in my opinion more satisfactory because you know in advance exactly what you are getting.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

BP is correct - repeat visitors tend to get preference of room - especially if it is a room they request visit after visit.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

hmm sorry you are disappointed jamaicansun. IMO pretty much ANY room is great at Rockhouse and no they won't hold rooms sorry.

Good point BP. Tensing Pen you book THE room you want period.

Dream vaca...stay at TP and eat at RH. :) C

Arkansas
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

Rockhouse was beautiful - and I did have a nice stay. Will probably stay at TP next visit for the very reason that you CAN reserve a room that is available when you book and pay. What bothered me about the situation was not that the room they "flagged" for me (their words, not mine) was given to someone else, I know their "no hold" policy in writing...it was that when I requested an empty room - they would not give it to me, because they were "holding" it for someone else who had requested it - so yes, withrespect, they DO hold rooms, just not for me...seems like the policy should be the same for everyone...

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

sorry Jamaicansun. I meant you cannot reserve a specific room. Yes there are lots of repeat visitors not only to Rockhouse but everywhere. The better you are as a client the easier it is to procure what you seek right? The places I frequent...I get what I want. When I'm a newbie I don't. I don't think this is unique to Rockhouse or jamaica for that matter. :)

I'm glad you enjoyëd!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

Once upon a time I stayed at Tensing Pen every year for 6 years in a row. Because of the high repeat clientele for the resort the rule of thumb that we all used was to reserve the room for next year and for the same time slot on your final day there before you left when settling your tab. Management then will call you for the deposit about 5 months before your travel date. It always worked and likely is still the way it is done.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

In the hotel world, everywhere in the world, room "types" are "requested" not "reserved". For example, when I travel for business I always "request" a king bedded room but I don't always get it. That type of request is handled mostly on a first come first served basis at check-in, and I understand that, especially when occupancy exceeds 85%.

You have to understand too that places like Rockhouse and Tensing Pen MIGHT be giving specific rooms to repeat/loyal customers.

In the years when I stayed at SamSara I always requested my favorite Pillar House - T4. They always gave it to me, and I never stayed there for less than 2 weeks. For a couple of years in a row though they attempted to move me out because they had a Destination Manager or some Tour Manager coming in that wanted a pillar room...I asked the owner if it would be OK then to get something in writing that would say that we would get the room we wanted and NOT be moved...and she agreed. So that's how we rolled for several years. Now, that agreement was struck because we had been staying there for so many years and bringing people there to stay as well...also our stays there crept up to one month...so she did us a solid by granting our request each time.

I like BP's notion of requesting a "range" of rooms or room types. You might not get the specific room you want but they will do their best to get you in a room that comes dang close. Rockhouse is one of the more service oriented properties in Negril.

9. Re: one small issue with room at Rockhouse...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 08:16