We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

Hey all,

There has been plenty of back-and-forth about hotel ripoffs in Negril, and I'm here to report the problem also is serious in Montego Bay.

A good friend says she stayed at Iberostar in Montego Bay last week, and someone snuck into her room when she was not there (perhaps they had a key?) and stole a lot of her stuff like camera, Dolce and gabana bag, iPod, stuff like that.

What a shame. I hate hearing stories like this, and I thought I would pass it on. KEEP VALUABLES as safe as possible!

Best,

Gerry G

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

Better yet, leave the valuables home.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

amen

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

a D&G bag in jamaica? people should leave this stuff at home already. come on people. think!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

That sucks.

We always lock our bags for the trip and this is one reason why. Whatever we can't put in the safe is put in our luggage and locked. I know they can still get it if they want it, but I want them to work for it if they are going to take it.

I wouldn't say leave all valuables at home, but be sensible about what you take. A Dolce and Gabana bag is a bit much. We take cameras and I pods, but expesive bags, jewel;ry etc., I'd advise to leave at home.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

I also agree with let valuables at home. I have an older camera I use for vacations and i let the good jewelery at home just wear my wedding band or I wear a CZ ring that looks exactly like my engagement/wedding band set that i wear when on vacaiton. Not only in JA but even when i travel in the US. My good stuff never leaves home base. I also agree with the above poster, to lock things in your suitcase and not let things laying around where they can be seen & taken.

Bourbon, Indiana
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

I agree that we need to be sensible about what we take on vacation....and lock up anything of value while we are on vacation. I've always thought that if someone was willing to go through the work of getting something I have locked up they must need it more than I do.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

I am not sure why, but thieves never seem to mess with my International Male man purse.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

LOL Easton. Maybe it is not a "brand-name" man purse. Or maybe just the fact it is a man purse!! Sorry but to me that is a real oxymoron

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

"Its not a man purse, its a satchel" Anyone know what movies this is from?

Chicago
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING: My friend was ripped off in Montego Bay

A man's carry all....."Seinfeld" a great episode.