We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican and ys falls pls help?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Pelican and ys falls pls help?

So we've decided on our up coming trip that we would like to do pelican bar and ys falls in one trip.

Does anyone have a idea what kind of price we will pay and can anyone recommend someone? There will be 4 adults going from RPTB.

Last time we went to negril we did all tours with our travel company but with 4 of us going this time just wondered if we would save money and time doing a private tour? Also i think our travel company does PB and YSF in 2 separate trips.

Dudley's Big Ship Taxi and Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Rocky's Taxi and Tour Services
Luxurious Carib Tours and Taxi Jamaica
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Gary's Jamaican Taxi & Tours
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
353 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

We sent an e-mail to TOTT prior to our trip and they were able to pair us up with 3 other couples. At that time, for the 8 of us it was $48 per person which included transportation, entrance fee to YS and the boat ride to the Pelican Bar. TOTT was really easy to work with and enjoyed their company. Not sure how much a private tour for 4 would cost. It was a memorable day.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

we did ys and pb in one day we use TOTT and I think it was 65pp for 4 of us.. We left SN at 0800 and returned around 1800 as we went we brought our appetite! there are so many great places to eat snack and drink along the way like pepper shrimp fresh bammie, jerk, stews you name it just absolutely killer grub to be had! everybody has different companies or drivers they like, personally I don't think you can really go wrong with whom you decide.. another note if you have your driver call Floyd ahead of time he will prepare you lunch out there at PB otherwise it is beer and rum and cokes out there only.. he does a great fish or lobster lunch.. but going as four and having a personal drive either being a company (TOTT sienna or solomon) or a redplate car from where you are staying you have the opportunity to take more in, instead of just drivin thru to the next destination.. explore, eat, drink and be merry!

Maryland
Level Contributor
819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

We went to YS, Pelican & Appleton June 16th using Clives Transport Service. He was wonderful. There were 6 of us and we had a private driver so we were only on our schedule. Paid $200.00 for the day to take us where we wished. However, we paid all entrance fees and the boat fee to Pelican. Clive called ahead about lunch and had snapper or lobster to choose from. The lobster was amazing. My sister got the whole fish (fried) but that wasn't for me but she said it was to die for.

Going back Sept. 3rd to YS & Pelican (skipping Appleton as it was a waste of time) and for 3 of us we are paying $120.00 and again, we will pay our own entrance fees and boat to Pelican. The entrance fee to YS is $15.00 pp and the boat to Pelican will be $80 for the 3 of us.

We could probably do it cheaper if we went as a group, but we wish to be on our schedule.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

private tours/taxi will cost more than a bus - but you are on your own time/schedule and can stop where and when you want, see and do what you want. grab a red stripe somewhere, stop for pepper shrimp or jerk, etc. you can also customize your tour specifically to your interests. for private tours, your cost is usually a factor of gasoline and time. the more people you bring with you, the less cost each person has to bear individually but then you have increased interests that have to be shared and managed.

i've always just paid the expense for my wife and i to have the tour/driver/vehicle and schedule all to ourselves. but there are certainly options for all budgets.

if you are going to YS falls and Pelican Bar then i would recommend stopping on the A2 at Middle Quarters on the way back or the way down to try the Pepper Shrimp sold by the side of the road. Also in the vicinity is bamboo alley/avenue, alligator pond and gut river. bamboo alley is a stretch of road where the bamboo had grown up and over the road forming a sort of canopy. sorta neat photo op. alligator pond is a small fishing village, sometimes there are manatees in the river there.

I prefer to do pelican bar by getting a wood fishing boat from Treasure Beach (your tour guide will arrange this for you including the cost for boat, we rode with Dennis Abrahams as our captain, a popular local guide) head out to pelican bar and catch a few shots of dolphins if the are active, place a lunch order at the pelican bar, then dash into black river and head up river past the crocs to the little beer shack, have a swim and a drink, then head back down the river and back out to pelican for lunch/meal.

this will probably be a long day of excursion - plan to be leaving in the early morning and probably getting back to negril right around sunset or just before. a nice day nonetheless with a great exploration of the south coast and countryside. there are lots of little opportunities for diversion along the way if you are game for it. if you go by bus, it's more point A to point B and back again. which is not really my personal style. take the day, take your time and take the time to wander a bit with your driver and really immerse yourself in the moment for the day. the farmer's market at black river is sorta neat and you can get a bag of oranges or fruit there as a little stopover before you head up the river. then take back to negril for the rest of your stay.

as for tour companies - my preference is Talk of the Town

talkofthetownnegril.com

Maryland
Level Contributor
819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

Once again I agree with Rawlus, I would just spend the extra $ and have the driver to yourself and take everything at your pace and the little side trips. Bamboo alley is pretty cool. This time we might just try the shrimp the ladies are selling on the side of the road.

A lot of people have their preference on tour companies. Just research threads on their feedback and choose the one right for you.

Yeah, it's gonna be cheaper in a group tour situation, however, it really is nice to have the driver to yourself and do what you want when you want. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2009, 11:41
Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

We also arranged a private tour. It cost us $60pp round trip. We used Kenny for our driver. He called Floyd and we had a great lunch at the Pelican Bar. (the whole snapper).

On the way back we stopped in Sav for mangos at the market. Kenny did the bargining for us so we got a very good deal. We also stopped for jerk chicken to take back with us for a picnic dinner.

We did not do YS falls.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

HSSTraveler-- How many people were in your group?

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

If you dont mind me asking - who have you booked your holiday with to RPTB? we are going with Thomson and wondered whether you knew what trips they have available through the tour operator so i can get an idea of what i need to book outside the resort.

Many thanks

CC

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pelican and ys falls pls help?

Hi CCSWUk,

I don't mind at all we have also booked with thomson.

Last time we went (feb08) we went with first choice so i'm assuming now that they have merged the trips they offer will be similar.

Looking at the list i brought back with me bearing in mind the date, they pretty much offer most of the trips that people have talked about on this forum although some are only in certain combinations

i'll list a few so you can see what i mean....

Appleton/black river & ys falls

Black river & ys falls

Beach pinic & horse riding

Most chukka blue trips (check website)

Reggae and culture (bob marley's birth & burial place)

Grand ocho rios special (shopping and dunns river falls)

Mayfield waterfalls/riverwalk

Luminous lagoons

Kingston tour

Is there any you had in mind? I'll have a look on my list.

When are you going? I'm going in dec so if it's before you i'll be able to give you a better idea of whats available and the price.

Hope this helps.