We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane season

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melfort sask. canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
hurricane season

when is hurricane season? i was thinking oct. nov. is that not right?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hurricane season

June 1- Dec 1

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hurricane season

and most hotels have a 12 day grace period in dec before the prices hit peak season prices

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hurricane season

Sept. is the most likely hurricane month, with Aug. & Oct. right behind.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hurricane season

I don't know that you'd call it a "grace period" - high season is 12/15-4/15. Hurricane season 6/1-12/1.

Ivan hit in September - Gilbert too I believe. But some nasties have hit in early November as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hurricane season

Last evening on one weather channel, the forecaster was saying that mid-September is the peak season for Atlantic hurricanes. (for what it is worth).

You can get some great travel deals during the next three months, but you may want to include travel insurance in case you have to cancel due to storms.

This time of year, I like to keep an eye on the satellite images and reports on www.stormcarib.com.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hurricane season

grandparents,

When booking your trip make sure that you get trip cancellation insurance. Problem solved.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hurricane season

Last year when we were there Paloma went around the island. Not even a direct hit, but the surges pushed the water up to the front units at IDle Awhile. The beach was a complete mess. I cannot imagine being there with a direct hit. During the storm, the beach was shrunk down to nothing from the surge. This was in Mid November.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hurricane season

I was there 2 days after Paloma last year. Take a look at my pics in my profile of Samsara. Ouch.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hurricane season

all of jamaica is really struggling right now with a record drought. rainy season has been anything but rainy. the govt is now taking severe steps to conserve remaining water including bans on various uses like watering streets and cars.

farmers and agriculture is really struggling so do consider this when haggling/negotiating your prices at the market or with street vendors.

there is a good article linked from the jamaica section of stormcarib.com on the current drought and the steps the govt are taking.

10. Re: hurricane season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 06:23