We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

I tried to post a review, but the pictures seem to have locked up my computer.

Our trip was incredible. I was very sick when we arrived Saturday night (a new medication my doctor prescribed did not go over well). Our driver told them I was not feeling well as soon as we pulled up, and they had a cold towel and chamomile tea for me as soon as my feet hit the lobby (a cold towel and tropical punch for my husband). Check-in was quick and hassle-free.

Our cabin was wonderful. Very spacious with lots of storage in the closet and armoire. We put citronella candles on the deck and enjoyed many breezy nights out there. The cabin was so clean. The large windows, ceiling fan, and very chilly AC kept us comfortable our entire trip. The satellite TV was also great when I really needed a news or Law & Order fix.

The resort itself is beautiful. We enjoyed a high level of privacy. The grounds were immaculate. The resort buildings are open and nice - dark wood, very warm and earthy.

I must say we were not disappointed in the food. There was always a chicken/fish/meat offering for lunch and dinner. And the jerk chicken on the beach was great (not as good in the dining room). And you can always order a fresh fruit plate, salad, or veggie plate if you just aren't hungry for what they have (I did that once with no issue). The buffet changed daily and we always found something we loved. The Mac & Cheese was really good (who knew?)! The formal dining room is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Very good food there as well.

Finally, the staff. Incredible people, all of them. Dwight at the bar took great care of the hubby with his "Dwight Special." Ian at the pool taught us about fish and hooked me up with real aloe vera to treat my sunburn. Andy at the Negril Scuba Centre was just amazing. He took us out snorkeling and we saw everything! Stingrays, eels, a sunken pirate ship anchor and cannon, all kinds of beautiful fish, sea urchins, blow fish, and we even swam with a sea turtle. Our day with Andy was unbelievable. Arlene is the sweetest person; she set up our horseback riding adventure at Rhodes Hall. We had a great time. And Andre, the general manager, asked us how we were enjoying our trip no fewer than three times. We tipped (I asked when we got there if tipping was okay even though we were AI and was told it was "okay") because they deserved it.

We took the hotel shuttle in to town and went shopping and the Hi-Lo Grocery store and the craft market. I think my husband stopped to talk to everyone. Wonderful people.

The walk across the road to the beach is no big deal. In fact, you can find gorgeous shells in the sand on the way to the beach if you look for them. Everything you need is on the beach side - food, drink, showers, restrooms, and the dive shop. We'd spend entire days out there and never need to go back to the room. We'd leave our camera and other personal belongings on the beach in chairs and they were fine. The beach itself was beautiful; the water was perfectly clear.

And, you know, we never had a problem with bugs. Usually they love me, but I had no problems. I wore Deep Woods Off a couple of nights (we were there for 7 nights), and we stayed off the beach after sundown, and that did the trick. Actually, the resort has ceiling fans everywhere, and that keeps the bugs away better than anything.

This resort keeps it simple and enjoyable. There's nothing stuffy or snobbish about SATP. Everything is very comfortable and friendly. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Northwest UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Well, speaking for my husband and I, it was wonderful!!!!!!! the beach bar and grill is complete and a new restaurant was opened. The food changed for the better midway through our trip and the grounds are lovely.

The staff are stars! They were genuine, attentive and fun to hang out with....and made the trip that much better.

SATP remains primarily for couples and honeymooners... singles and kids would be bored, I think.

It'll be awhile before the beachside cabins are ready, but I think it's ideal as is. It's so nice and chilled.

new york
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

hi Kellybee, I will be going with my husband to satp in a few weeks. You mentioned a formal restaurant. Is that the lobby restaurant? Can my husband wear nice shorts and a collared shirt there for dinner? My real question is do we have to pack any dressy clothing? Like long slacks for my husband? I dont mind wearing dresses for dinner but in the warm weather my husband hates wearing slacks. I believe that restaurant is thai food, am I right? Did you room have a king bed? We need a king be as my husband is large. Is there alot of street noise in the rooms? Can you suggest any room #s for us? Sorry for all the questions but knowing you were just there it is all fresh in your mind. Did they supply the citronella candles or should we bring them from home. I am a bug magnet, always getting eaten alive. Any other info you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Oh one more thing, any nightly entertainment? Music? Thanks a bunch...

Little Rock
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Benbel,

SATP is VERY informal. We wore shorts and t-shirts to dinner every night for both buffet and a la carte dining. I took a couple of "dressy" sundresses and heels - they never left the closet. :) You might take a couple of nice outfits if you just want to dress for dinner while you're there, but SATP won't require it of you. They want you to be comfortable and happy! The food in the dining room had "thai" sounding names, but it is just like American cuisine - steaks, fish, lamb, chicken. Not terribly spicy, but VERY tasty! They were tweaking the menu the week we were there.

Yes, we had a king bed in the cabin with lots of pillows! The AC is right above the bed, so you'll stay cool, too. We stayed in the 400s - very lush and green through there, and very close to the pool, lobby, and restaurant. We walked the grounds and the 400s through the 700s were the prettiest. I never noticed and noise from the road. We brought our own citronella candles, Deep Woods Off (in a pump container - not aerosol; sometimes aerosol cans are airport issues), and anti-itch cream. I typically get clobbered by the mosquitos, but I think I got four minor bites on this trip. SATP has ceilings fans in every gathering spot. If they aren't on, you can turn them on. That beats the bugs better than anything.

They had a live band every night we were there. They had a wonderful steel drum band on Wednesday (I think), so don't miss them! The entertainment is pretty laid back, nothing rowdy and loud. Very enjoyable.

If you want to snorkle, find Andy at the dive shop next to the grill. He'll take you out in the glass-bottomed boat. Try to get a solo trip (no other guests) - you'll get to stay longer and enjoy the trip more!

Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Thanks for the informative review--just the info I was looking for. We have been considering booking here, but last winter didnt want to be stuck in a "construction zone". It looks like we will book that trip soon!

Little Rock
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

WIGirl - I think you will have a wonderful time. I had heard tales of the construction, but we noticed none while we were there. I could tell they were starting something on the beach, but it wasn't an inconvenience or distraction.

I got a pretty good deal on this resort through Samsclub.com - if you haven't booked yet, you might give them a shot. They were about $100 under Travelocity. I arranged seven nights AI, airfare, and airport shuttle to and from the hotel (through Jamaica Tours). They also offered insurance. They were very friendly, and I had a "Welcome Home" email from them when we got back. It's the little things... :)

I hope you have an amazing trip! Best wishes!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Wow, Really can't wait to go now! My husband and I have been contemplating one week or two at SATP. Hearing your thoughts on the resort have pushed us to book for two.

When you went into town on the hotel shuttle was it with a group or alone? Just wondering if you were comfortable walking around alone. I have heard some relatively nasty moments people have had in Jamaica and are guessing these people were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would love to be able to get out and see people and places around Negril.

Besides the snorkelling (top of our list for sure!) did you go on any other tours or sightseeing? I am getting very excited for our trip and it is still ages away. Thanks for the great post.

Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

Thanks again for all the info. I'm a sam's club member and haven't ever checked out their vacation prices. I'll be sure to do so for our next vacation.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

NikiP,

I am jealous that you get to go for two weeks! One of the couples we met while there discovered that Sunset will let you "resort hop." They have resorts in both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. If you're AI, you can stay at all of them. Our friends stayed a week in Negril, then took the shuttle to the Sunset resort in MoBay to stay there for a few days.

SATP runs a shuttle into town every Tuesday and Saturday. It's $8 per person (roundtrip). They take you to the craft market, the shopping center, and Rick's. We went with a group, but walked around by ourselves. We were met with nothing but kindness from the local people. There is a gas station just a few blocks from the resort, and my husband walked there to pick up little things (Cokes, cigarettes, etc.). He never had any problems until our last day when a taxi driver stopped and asked to drive him to the gas station. My husband politely declined the ride, and the guy yelled at my husband for "not supporting the local people." My husband politely informed the driver that we had spent a lot of money with the local merchants, and the guy drove away. My husband had a similar experience with a merchant on the beach - same confrontation when my husband politely refused to buy a necklace from the man. Both of these were minor incidents and we never felt that we were in danger. Like I said, the local people were very kind to us, and we learned a lot about the country from them.

Rick's was neat. The shuttle gets you there in time to see the sunset, which is nice. You are only there for a little over an hour, but you can always stay longer and catch a cab back to the resort. There are also taxi drivers in the SATP parking lot who can take you around on your own timeframe. The cliffs at Rick's were really amazing, and you can swim in the sea there. There is also a pool. So take your suit if you want to swim! :) It's pretty "touristy" there.

We went horseback riding at Rhodes Hall. It's about 15 minutes from SATP. It was incredible. They take you on horseback up the mountain, through a rainforest, to the top of the mountain. You see the bamboo forest and a crocodile farm. Then you ride your horse down the beach and into the water (if you want). Arlene at SATP can set that up for you. It's $60 per person for a 1 1/2 hour tour. We really enjoyed it.

Hope that helps!

Northwest UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

We just spent two weeks at SATP and they practically had to shove me into the taxi to the airport. It was just the right amount of time to unwind and still have time to explore.

You mentioned snorkeling, I suggest you try YutMan and Roydel they are on the beach with the "Glass Bottom" boat. They were so cool and patient, showed us everything, fed the fish and priced us better than the others. They were wonderful.

We took a private tour of Negril and had only one bad experience with some VERY pushy salemanship. Firm and polite "NO THANKS" may be needed quite a few times. If they tell you to put your arm out, watch out for bracelets because payment is expected. If you are new to Jamaica, I suggest you travel with others to the marketplace.

Alot of the construction was completed for a couple projects, so I don't think it will be disruptive to guests travelling soon.

SATP has a really relaxed atmosphere, and I too didn't touch my dressier shoes and outfits. We were so chilled and the bartenders never let our drinks run out.

Book those two weeks, you won't regret it!!

Carlisle, PA
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back - Sunset at the Palms (SATP)

We leave for SATP on Nov. 18 and I have a couple questions you could probably answer.

Do they have coffee makers in the room and if so, do they supply the coffee or must you get your own? Also, do we need to bring beach towels, or do they supply them? Thanks for all the information in you review. It was really helpful.