We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

We'll be arriving Wednesday evening and will probably not want to stop at the "real" grocery store on the way and wonder if we can get some basics like, water, soda, cream at the place that's supposedly right across the street. Will it be open arount 5-6p.m.?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

I remember the store being open until late evening (9:00 PM?). They have everything one would expect at a large convenience store in the USA including alcohol.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Wise Choice is the store located almost directly across the street from Catcha.

It's well stocked as BP suggested and it's open until 8pm...so you'll be just fine.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Thanks everyone. So, BP, would you suggest waiting to go to Wise Choice for booze or get it at the duty free shop in the airport? Guess I'm asking about the selection available at WC.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

It depends on your choice of booze. If it's rum then wait, if its something like a good wine or whiskey then get it at the duty free to play it safe. It will be less expensive at the duty free too.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

>>arriving Wednesday evening

Ah.... good timing, the long awaited pool is up & running :-} The place looks great. Look forward to reading any comments & reviews upon your return. Have a great trip.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 16:52
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Ditto the info above... in addition to the convenience store stuff, they also have some basic staples like veggies, canned goods, lots of (prepackaged) baked stuff, etc.. You can certainly get by just fine for drinks and snacks. They'll have a decent assortment of basic booze, incl Smirnoff vodka, a couple of types of gin (maybe Gordon's or similar level), and other such basic liquors. Caution - We've never found any decent wine there (or at DJs, another similar market a short walk away). Guessing it's 'cause the storage temp is so high that wines tend to be iffy.

Enjoy!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

water, soda, beer, some other spirits, wines mostly from chile and australia, juices, baked goods, imported junk food, digicel cards, cigarettes, etc are readily available... milk and cream may come and go but that may be the offseason im familiar with, same with veggies, they are fresh the first day of delivery, whats not sold in a day or two starts to look a little tired.

cream or sugar-cream is avail @ catcha with the morning coffee.... not sure if you need cream for something else or not...

i tend to use wise choice purely for guiness and red stripe by the case, ting and ginger beer, juices (sorrel should be in season while you are there) and thats about it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Sounds like all I'm looking for. I'm bringing a whole suitcase full of goodies, cheese, wine etc. I need cream for coffee in the suite before I can face other humans in the a.m. :)

Can't wait.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convenience store near Catcha-what do they have?

Wise Choice is a very well stocked store, always has, including the above, a nice selection of fruits and veg...it's my "super market" more than the downtown stores.