We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican Bar ?

iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pelican Bar ?

My husband and I are going to Negril in 2 weeks and have booked the PB/YS tour with Kenny. We are usually beach bums but have decided to venture out so I have a few questions:

1. How much is lunch/beers at the bar?

2. Do you tip the boat captain who takes you out and in from the bar? if so, what is typical?

3. I've read that people wear water shoes....are flip flops okay? any other suggestions for dress for either the bar or YS?

I think that is all for now. I have a feeling there will be more questions as our trip gets closer. Thank you for all the help through this forum...it's a lifesavor!

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelican Bar ?

Can't remember the exact amount but very expensive, do remember that! No one was cooking that day. Flip flops are fine, but it's surrounded by water so you may want to wear water shoes to play. We tipped the boat driver, he was really fun, 15%.

I wish I wouldn't have thought of that little gold mine!!!!! Cool site. Enjoy!!!

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
887 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelican Bar ?

If you are going to have lunch you have to call ahead and its good either fish or lobster. You will have toeither climb from boat to the ladder so water shoes are easier, but flip flops are no problem. Prices are close to yhe average you would pay at other bars.

Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelican Bar ?

Yes, take or wear water shoes!!

We were there on Dec. 11 & one of the ladies in our group stepped on a sea urchin & got the needles in her foot. Our driver was able to get them out, but it was some what painful. So if you have water shoes it's best to use them. We just wore our swimwear, as you will get wet at both places.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelican Bar ?

We were at the Pelican Bar on Christmas. What an amazing experience! It is VERY expensive, but well worth it (in my opinion). We went from Sandals Whitehouse. The guy we used (a local) charged us $50/pp for the ride (which was about 40 minutes) and then we paid another $80/pp for beers and lunch. My advise is to keep track of what you drink to avoid getting over charged. It was Christmas so we didn't want to argue with them. The fish was TO DIE FOR! I highly recommed it, however I'm not sure I would take children. There is a LOT of smoking going on - and I'm not talking about cigarettes. That could have been because it didn't bother our group, so just ask your tour operator.

Also, bring water shoes or flip flops. I don't think I would have gotten in the water otherwise.

This place is BEAUTIFUL

Edited: 28 December 2009, 18:05
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pelican Bar ?

I would agree....not a place for children.

iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pelican Bar ?

Thank you for all your help. No children here so no worries about that. We were trying to plan how much drinking money we would need:) i think we have a good idea now. we leave in 2 weeks and are excited to experience this unique place. Thanks again for all the tips!

7. Re: Pelican Bar ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 05:16