We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to snorkel in Negril?

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Where to snorkel in Negril?

O.k. we're staying in Negril and I have my own snorkel gear. Are there certain areas on Negril beach that are better than others for snorkeling? If so, can you suggest some spots? Keep in mind that I've never been there before so I will need directions, names or landmarks.

I'm staying up by White Sands.

Thanks!

P.S. "snorkel".....what a strange word. haha

northfield mn
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

Hire a glass bottom boat for about 20 US and head out to the reef. Snorkeling off the beach is usually kind of boring. Just sand and a few creatures but really not much at all. The reef is nice though.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

The reef is the best place to snorkel from the beach and it's 15-20 minutes out from the resort. There is nothing to see from shore. For $20 USD per person just go out in any one of the glass bottom boats you will see lining the shore. The only other quality snorkeling in Negril is from the west end cliffs. Take a taxi to Xtabi, have a drink, and use their water access. It's one of only a few places that allows non-guests to do this. One other option is to take a glass bottom boat for a sunset cruise along the cliffs for $25 USD and snorkel while you are there.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

I agree with the other posters about the glass bottom boats and the main reef. There is also great snorkeling in bloody bay around the Breezes grand aka Grand Lidio and around point village. Bloody Bay we have seen sting rays always.......several species of them. There is also an island booby cay that is near the main reef and has amazing abundance of fish on the North end of it. However what I refer to land mines the black balls of hell are in very shallow water that you would normally walk. (sea urchins) (bring water shoes if you get dropped off in this area.)

I have seen spotted eagle rays on the reefs also and tons of star fish, and coral. I have not snorkeled near the cliffs yet however some poster stated there are things to see.

Falher, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

Mike's glass bottom boat is always anchored at the rainbow arch which is 100 feet to the east of White sands. Everton Shuttleworth who calls himself the "events cordinator" hangs out at the White sands. We used him 3 weeks ago on our trip and he would call Captain Junior to pick us up with his glass bottom boat ( cost of $20.00 U.S. for one hour ) I did some snorkeling on the cliffs at the Blue Cave Castle and i did find different aquatic life ( murray eel, ray, small baracudas near the cave ) but not as numerous as at the reef.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

There's a great reef just offshore ... I'm sure lots of people have already mentioned it.

We hired a private boat for $30US to take us to Sandy Cay Reef and spent about an hour there. Very clean, excellent underwater diversity (spotted rays, trumpet snails (those long spiral shaped horns you see for sale on the beach), huge sand dollars, massive brain corals, etc. Another place worth mentioning is Boobie Cay reef ... located just off the little island between 7 mile beach and Bloody Bay. Water is a little rougher but the diversity and composition of the reef is considerably different too. Lobster, big rays, spiny urchins ... made for some excellent underwater photos.

chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

A trip to the reef is a must, as you have probably figured by now! Xtabi, also mentioned is great and free. Peewee's (also on West end) is another spot we love. Elvis will let you swim/snorkel for free there if they have a ladder in the water. Last Sping it had been washed out to sea, not sure if it's been replaced yet!

7. Re: Where to snorkel in Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:17