We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Negril Advice Please!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Negril Advice Please!

Hi,

I've just booked to go to the RIU Negril in March and I just have a few questions of anybody is able to help?

1. If the RIU Negril beach is as bad as people say it is, how far would I have to walk to find a better beach, also, what is the situation with loungers? Are we allowed to use the RIU Tropical Bay loungers if the beach is better there or would we just have to find a nice spot and lay on towels?

2. I have heard that the speciality restaurants are restricted to once per stay, is this true or can I book as much as I like?

3. How far is Negril 'centre'? Would we be able to walk to local shops, markets bars etc or is it a taxi ride? And also is it safe to walk around the town on our own or would you reccomend a guide or organised excursion?

4. Where would be the best/cheapest place to book excursions (Dunn's River etc)? Are there any companies/people I should avoid when booking an excursion?

5. I have heard so much about the Jerk Chicken that I can't wait to taste it but..... is it very spicy!? (Thought I'd make the last question a bit light hearted!)

Thanks everybody, really looking forward to going so I just want to make sure I am prepared so as I can make this the best trip ever!

Thanks!

Al

Edited: 15 January 2010, 13:55
missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

We really enjoyed the RIU Negril. And thought the location was perfect. But we don't like to be right on top of things. The beach right next to the resort is great. Star fish everywhere! Maybe 1/2 block. A private area between the RIU and the next resort. Walking the other way is also nice. The Bahia is that way. After passing that resort you come to another unoccupied area. Yes, if you like to walk, it is no problem walking to 7 mile stretch of beach. No you can not use any chairs that belong to another resort if you don't have privilages to. But remember the ocean and sand belong to everyone. We walk everywhere and stop wherever we want. Get in the water to cool off and rest abit. No problems. You'll love it!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

No the beach isn't as bad as people say. It is still a beach. Although this week with rough seas we walked in bloody bay and the nasty sea weed and murky water had stirred up the beach a lot. Hopefully they will get that all cleaned out for the guest. You can eat at the ala carts every night if you wish (last april info) you just have to get up early to book the resturants). You will need to take a taxi shopping. Go off resort and get a red plate just cost us $5 last week. (stayed at a different resort) Resort taxi much more expensive than getting one your self.

United States
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

A few answers:

3 - Downtown Negril is about 7 miles from the RIU Negril. Most people would opt to take a taxi if they are going into town. Some people make a day of it and walk to downtown (stopping for lunch, a drink, etc. along the way) and take a taxi back. However, keep in mind that you will need to walk on the road in the area of Rutland Point as there is no public beach in that area. Negril is a safe town.

4 - You can book a tour at the hotel. Check this form for the names and phone numbers for any number of drivers who also offer excursions.

5 - Like any dish, some versions have more spice than others. Ask the cook how they do it. At most hotels they offer a 'tourist' jerk which is not as spicy as most Jamaicans would like it.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

Thanks for all of your help, I am very excited now! If anybody else knows something useful I'd still be very grateful for any more info!

Take Care!

Al

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

Hopefully, there are still some roadside jerk vendors - as there used to be many years ago?

St Louis
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

Best in the West Jerk was just up the road from Riu Club. Didnt try, but maybe others who have can give their opinions?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

Unless there are two Best in the West jerk establishments the only one I know of is about 4 miles towards town from RIU Club.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

If you don''mind Al....can I hijack your thread for a minute to ask if anyone knows how far of a walk Riu is from Couples Negril?

Thanks a bunch!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

Be my guest!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Negril Advice Please!

RIU Tropical Bay, I think that is the name is right next door to Couples Negril. Club Riu is about 1/2 a mile down the beach.