We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine in Negril

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zelienople...
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Wine in Negril

I leave for Negril in a couple days!!! Was wondering where is the best place to buy white wine?? I'm not staying at an AI so I would like to buy some white wine to keep in my room. Thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine in Negril

You will find South American wine at most grocery & larger convenience stores and a couple of the stores carry imports that are quite pricey (French etc). If you want to play it safe buy some at the duty free in the airport before you head down.

Zelienople...
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine in Negril

Hey thanks never thought about the duty free at the airport!!!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine in Negril

I found Yellowtail at the Hi-Lo - prices were comparable to home.

Zelienople...
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine in Negril

Did you pay with USD or JD at the Hi-Lo??? Do you know if it is open on Sundays??

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine in Negril

They take either and I think they're open 7 days.

That said, our experience with wine in Negril (or anywhere else in JA) has been lousy. Every bottle we've bought at any store has been on the way to turning. Guessing that the vast majority of it ends up sitting in the heat in transit, which ages it well along towards vinegar. Best of luck... we've given up. ;)

Woodinville...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine in Negril

Not that I have extensive experience with this, however last year when having arranged a fine dinner party on the cliffs where lobster was served for all, we also aranged for a couple bottles of wine, bot white and red, to be served. I found the wine to be very poor. It was a beringer that was better equipped to remove paint than to drink. My wife drinks a glass of merlot ever night (her thing), but we resign ourselves to enjoying the drinks choices that are regional when we travel, as such we enjoy "Rum & Ting", "Coconut Rum & Pineapple Juice", "Dirty Bananas", and other such things. They are different than wine, yet most fitting when in Jamaica, not to mention youd be hard pressed to have such drinks of similiar quality when outside of Jamaica. Cocomania Coconut rum isnt even sold in the US, so its a treat when there. If youve gotta have wine then I hope someone can vouche for the quality and not just the whereabouts, otherwise you may find that you have bottle after bottle of stuff you wont drink more than a sip of.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine in Negril

i know some people travel down with a premium box wine, blackbox or other, which is 4 bottles worth in a decently compact and portable form with no worries of glass breakage.

wine selection is improving in negril, they had quite a few aussie and chilean wines at hilo last time i was there. but storage conditions being what they are, the wine is often not in excellent shape.

as to duty free on the way down to negril, i personally do not recall any wine at duty free, just distilled spirits. perhaps i am wrong.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine in Negril

rawlus,

"as to duty free on the way down to negril, i personally do not recall any wine at duty free, just distilled spirits. perhaps i am wrong."

You could be right about USA airports. I know in Canadian airports it is available.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine in Negril

I can recall seeing fancy champagnes like Dom Perignon in the duty frees in the U.S., but I cannot recall seeing regular wine - but I don't exactly look for it either.

The 'good' boxed wine seems like a good option. We are not wine drinkers at all (gave up trying), but my mom is and she likes a couple of the newer, better boxed wines quite a bit.

Do they have Boone's Farm in Negril?

;)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine in Negril

the negril equivalent of boones farm would be jamaican red label wine i think. locals sometimes drink it mixed with redbull. red bull and red label.

we drink alot of wine at home but for the negril trip each year we switch to rum drinks, guinness, dragon and red stripe. the change is nice and we dont miss the wine too much.

if you can fit the 3L box of wine into your luggage i think that is the best option... if you bring more than one box, be sure to split them between travelers in your party as there is a customs limit per person on wine you can bring in, although i dont know it off the top of my head.