We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tensing Pen review

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Tensing Pen review

In case you're heading out before my T.A. review gets posted, I thought I'd post it here also. Any questions PM me, please.

"We just returned from our first stay at Tensing Pen, January 26 - 29. We split our trip, four nights on the beach at RPTP and three nights on the cliffs at Tensing Pen. We absolutely LOVED Tensing Pen. We typically do the all-inclusive resorts but after doing some research on the T.A. forum decided to try something different this year. We were quite impressed!

From the moment we entered the gates and Niney, the gardener (such a sweet soul), grabbed our bags we fell in love with the property. The landscaping is lush and beautiful. The grounds are immaculate. There are lit pathways connecting each of the separate cottages, so quaint at night. The sunning decks are plentiful and scattered along the cliff's edge, all having nice wooden loungers with comfty cushions and umbrellas. They provide complimentary floaties for the sea. Access to the water is easy using the ladders but you MUST jump from the bridge at least once. After jumping once, you're addicted! The water was so clear and calm during our stay, just amazing. You could literally see the sea bottom from the cliffs. There is a hammock hut near the water's edge for an afternoon nap to get out of the sun. The infinity pool is beautiful. Just perch on the edge, watching the sun glisten off the water, and relax. There are a couple bed-style loungers if you prefer to be out of the sun.

They offer a complimentary breakfast each morning that consists of juice, coffee, fresh fruits, cold cereal, toast, peanut butter, and jelly. If you'd like a more hearty breakfast, you can order eggs, omelets, or french toast from their menu, all VERY reasonably priced ($3 - $4 USD) and very tasty. The banana french toast was awesome! We ate lunch on the property only once and really enjoyed the ackee pizza, a must-try. There is no cash transacted on the property. Everything is put on a tab and you settle up upon check-out.

Razor, the bartender, is a great guy! He's got years of experience and will mix up whatever you're interested in. He made us a "Razor Special" that consisted of fresh watermelon and rum, so yummy! To quote Razor: "All day, every time, Mon." The bar has all of five or six bar stools and is a great way to meet other guests at night. A shout out to Brian and Lisa, Adam and Dawn, Toni and Steve. Hi, guys! (Still thinking about that group night jump from the bridge.)

We stayed in the South Pillar, home sweet home. It was perfect; rustic but beautiful. There were fresh, colorful flowers on the bed to greet us upon arrival, a nice touch. There were wooden slat blinds on all the windows and french doors leading out to the verandah. The verandah has two adirondack chairs with thick, comfortable cushions. There's a small refrigerator in the room. There are no TVs, radios, or clocks in the rooms. TP is not about that; it's about relaxing and chilling. Our bed was queen size with nice linens and four soft pillows. We had a bathroom with a toilet and sink and plenty of soft, white towels. There's a makeup mirror that lights up in the bathroom. Our shower was outside but yet very private (no worries!) There's a wonderful partial view of the sea from the shower. I absolutely loved the outdoor shower, and it was one of the reasons we chose a pillar. The views from our verandah were nothing less than breathtaking. If you're looking for a view, you can't go wrong with any of the pillars. I had to constantly pinch myself... is this for real? Two mornings we watched two porpoises jumping through the sea. Sonya, our housekeeper, was a lovely lady and did a great job

Each morning before the sun was too hot we got off the property and went for walks. There are several restaurants/bars within walking distance. Alice's, Ras Rody's, Sharks, and LTU are all yummy choices for lunch/dinner. We had a romantic dinner one night at Rockhouse, very nice. There is a small grocery store across the street to purchase Red Stripes, water, and munchies for your room. Rick's Cafe is only a five-minute walk; check out the Jamaican cliff divers.

To sum it up, we can't say enough great things about TP. It was an amazing three days. You will leave relaxed and recharged, I promise, counting down the days until your return."

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tensing Pen review

Great review......makes me want to venture out of the AI trip for a change of pace. (I think we'd miss the beach though) ; >

Glad you had fun, thanks for posting.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tensing Pen review

Good review.

Who is the new manager now?

MN,

One plus of staying on the cliffs is that it's an easy taxi ride to the beach when you need to get a beach fix but then you can retreat back to the cliffs when you have had your fill.

When staying on the beach the reverse isn't as easy an option.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tensing Pen review

ahhh Tensing Pen...sheer decadence. Thanks for the nice writing!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tensing Pen review

Blues Pirate,

I'm not sure of the new manager's name, not sure if I even met him/her. Tracy helped us at check-in.

Woodinville...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tensing Pen review

Great report. We are booked to stay in the South Pillar come Feb 18th. Cant wait. Im looking forward to that outdoor shower to see what that is like.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tensing Pen review

You're going to love it, trust me!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tensing Pen review

People are always talking about the other rooms at TP , so I was glad to hear you enjoyed the South Pillar. We are going in April, and I paid extra for the Pine Pillar. When you were there, did you see if the extra cost was worth it for the Pine Pillar instead of the other pillars?

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tensing Pen review

Right next door to our pillar was the Pine Pillar and, yes, I think it will be worth the extra money you paid for the upgrade. It looked amazing, probably twice the size of our pilllar. Our pillar just had the one set of french doors and it looked like the Pine Pillar had two. My husband thought our room was a little small so we commented that next time we might upgrade to the Pine Pillar. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Just being on the property, no matter what room you choose, you can't go wrong.

I've got a great picture of our South Pillar and your Pine Pillar from the water. PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the picture so you can do a direct comparison. I'm not sure how to send pics through the forum. I'm relatively new at this.

Enjoy!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tensing Pen review

Thanks for the pictures, both of the Pillars look great- so close to the ocean. My husband was excited when I showed him, and told him we have the bigger pillar. Also, thanks for taking the picture of the shower in your review, I was trying to describe it to my husband and the picture helped. Have fun returning to work. Snowing in Wisconsin ? We are getting some today- dreaming about Jamaica !

Memphis
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tensing Pen review

Great review of TP. I am so glad you mentioned Niney and Razor. Did you happen to see Famous Vincent on his boat? He usually comes by every morning. He is a must for the next time you visit. Karen and Al.